Close call... Again

Just thinking out loud  If there was room between the two trucks for him to pull that stunt, wouldn’t there have been enough room for you to “slot in” between them to let him get past?  A “5” is an excellent car for doing that safely.

Agree with this, my mum recently had to have a kidney out and had to visit Swindon/Bristol. She had to have the operation and treatment at Bristol as Swindon did not have the facilitieS. The hospital and staff at bristol where hands down incredible and so much more helpful than the local doctors. Just dont visit the main surgery in Swindon centre, last time I was there they where incredibly rude. NHS quality of service and standards are highly variable.

As someone considering buying his first MX5, the safety issue does worry me. I checked www.euroncap.com and interestingly the MX5 comes off better compared to my existing old BMW 3 series. I’m now trying to understand what these figures mean in reality!

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/latest-safety-ratings/?selectedMake=7298&selectedMakeName=Mazda&selectedModel=16045&selectedModelName=MX-5&nodeId=1455&allProtocols=true&selectedStar=&includeFullSafetyPackage=true&includeStandardSafetyPackage=true&selectedProtocols=34803,30636,26061,24370,1472,5910,5931,-1,14999&selectedClasses=1202,1199,1201,1196,1205,1203,1198,1179,1197,1204,1180,34736&allClasses=true&allDriverAssistanceTechnologies=false&selectedDriverAssistanceTechnologies=&thirdRowFitment=false

No.

There wasn’t that much distance between the trucks and I was travelling at 70mph they at say 56mph I could clear both pretty quickly but he made a very dangerous manueuvre by dodging in-between them.

In my caravan towing days I had similar with two bikers, I don’t know how the lived to ride another day. I’ve also had bikers come between me and a truck (down the middle of us) to get by, all this doing a fair speed, 60-70mph. Btw I’m not a biker hater I’ve just witnessed some pretty hairy stuff by them.

Something else I did forget: make sure the datetime is correctly set if the dashcam goes without power for a while. I was ready to file a report until I noticed the event will happen in December 2028.

Sunday evening I’d just washed and polished the NC and took it round the block for a blow-dry and disc-clean.  Near the end I was waiting for the lights to change in the left of two left turn lanes, the correct one to go on to my village, because in a hundred yards the other one soon becomes right turn only onto the A40.

I noticed this massive black BMW SUV overtake the four cars queued behind me and pull up alongside in a screech of brakes and engine revving, and the body language says this is an idiot who is going to cut me up. 

Sure enough the lights turn, he spins the wheels, roars off in a plume of black exhaust smoke, and without indicating he cuts in front of me so close that he would have taken the front of my car off if I had driven off normally not expecting him to be stupid. I sounded my horn once as a warning that I am there as he cuts in, no flashing lights nor hand gestures, knowing that I had lots of witnesses behind me. 

So I let him get on with it to vanish into the distance.  Guess what, once past the A40 branch he then slows down and drives at 27mph for the next quarter mile.  Incomprehensible idiot. 

The annoying thing was that my dash-cam was in the other car.  Otherwise I’d have sent in the video to the relevant place.

So I’ve just bought a second dash-cam, a Nextbase 512GW, which allows me to have a permanently wired dock allowing easy dismounting.  And it has a polarising filter and GPS logging.