Clutch Squeak !!

Hi all

Help - Clutch has developed an annoying squeak over past few weeks,  every time it is pressed  -  Car is a 1999 Mk 2 , and although clutch / gearbox still seems to be working Ok, the noise is getting tiresome !.

Can the squeak be cured by applying grease anywhere, ( and if so - where ??) or is the better long term solution to fit a new Clutch slave cylinder  ??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Richard

I have the same problem but, after I greased the linkage under the car it improved, but it is still intermittent for some reason, . I keep meaning to have another go when time permits.

Is this the old problem with the slave cylinder needing a bit of grease on the end of the shaft thingy?

Mine gives the odd dry squeak too …

And there was me thinking I was alone…

Mines done it since I bought the car in '05! Anyone got a pic of where to grease please?

I haven’t got a picture but if you remove the drivers side front wheel with car jacked up on a stand, then get your better  half to press the clutch peddle a few times it will become quite plain which the bit is that needs greasing. That’s the best explanation I can give at the moment.

Thanks everyone - feel a lot better now I know it’s not just mine -

Will get the grease gun out at the weekend .

Without sounding a complete numbskull, where’s the safest place to put the axle stands, without causing damage ??

Cheers

Richard

Does the noise seem to be from the clutch pedal inside the car or outside/underneath the car?

If it is inside the car then it could be the nylon clutch pedal pivot bush. New ones cost a couple of quid from MX-5 parts.

If it is outside/underneath the car then a blob of grease where the clutch slave cylinder piston touches the clutch arm ought to do the trick.

Its a job to tell whether its an inside or outside squeak - but squeak it does everytime the clutch pedal is depressed ( I think I’ll get depressed if it squeaks any more ! )

I will have a go at the clutch arm outside first , if that fails to cure, will then move inside.

Thanks for all the help

Cheers

Richard

At the moment I can’t lie down due to a shoulder injury so this is the best pic I can manage by pointing the camera in the direction of the bit that needs greasing. Not a good pic but better than nothing. It needs greasing where the clutch cable is attached to the lever arm.

Pollyana,

once again I find myself in your debt. Ta for the piccy, especially when taken whilst under duress!

I haven’t forgotten about those wheels BTW, just got to move house, go on holiday, then pop over to Africa for a month (work not play sadly) then I can concentrate on replacing mine and getting them up to you!

Thanks again pal.

Jon

For this job, I used the scissor jack under the O/S front jacking point and then removed the O/S front wheel. My trolley jack will not fit under the centre of the front cross member, either because my MazdaSpeed springs are lower than standard or they have drooped.

Place an axle stand under the cross member inboard of the lower wishbone pivots for additional safety if you like. With the wheel off you should have easy access to the clutch slave cylinder and clutch arm.

Also, try a squirt of Holts Rubber and Nylon lubricant (or some other type of silicon spray lubricant) on the clutch pedal pivot bush.

Guys guys, read the FAQs[;)][;)]—

Replace the Clutch slave cylinder & cure that squeekNA…

I am going to try greasing the actuating rod on both ends on mine, as it is only the “squeak” that is the problem

Turning up the radio saves a lot of work!