Cordless Car Tyre Inflator

1. My model of MX-5 is: Eunos and ND
  2. I’m based near: Cambridge

Bought one of these on Amazon and, I have to say, worked well.

Attached it to the rear tyre of Daisy and it displayed 27 psi.  I dialled up 29 psi and hit the “go” button.  The pump thumped, as they all do, and the display went up in 0.5 psi increments until it hit 29, continued for a few seconds and automatically cut out.

No more dangling the long 12v cigarette lighter lead in/out/over the car.  Simply recharges from a USB lead; I had a spare phone charger plug with USB socket so that now lives in the garage power-strip with this plugged in.  A full charge will do about 8 top-ups.  Comes with adapters for airbeds, beachballs etc etc.

AMAZON CAR TYRE INFLATOR

3 Likes

Looks good. How long did it take to add the 2psi to the tyre?

About 30 seconds. It was quick.

I’ve got a different model, but the same idea. Already more than saved what I spent at my local garage (the nearest free one in fair drive away), and check my tyres more regularly as it’s easier. Win, win.

2 Likes

Just ordered one, worth trying for £25.

1 Like

Have you had a different pressure gauge on it just to check the pressures indicated are correct?

Not to pour cold water on it I hasten to add, just intrigued!

Yes, matched my push-on gauge as I checked it against it before using. This reads in 0.5 psi “chunks”, even if it’s out by that much, it doesn’t matter- you can probably loose that when using a petrol station pump when you wriggle the gun off the valve.

Most people (me on occasions) check/fill tyres at a petrol station when the tyres are warm so accuracy is going to be +/- of what you are aiming for.

At least with this, it’s so easy to use it will encourage more regular checking as it’s a gauge and cordless filler all in one and can even be kept in the boot for easy access.

Sounds very positive then! Was looking at one from Ryobi the other day but seemed outrageously expensive, will take a look :slight_smile:

I do like these things! recently bought a similar one (a Ring RTC2000) to carry on my old Royal Enfield 350 motorbike, which has “traditional” spoked wheels and inner tube type tyres. I carry a spare tube and enough tools to remove the wheel and do the replacement (and have had to do it a couple of times) but inflating a new tube from scratch is more problematic. The CO2 canister type of inflator isn’t very practical for a full inner tube inflation because of the number of canisters needed.

I don’t need it for the MX-5 because I also have a workshop compressor at home.

1 Like

I had a 12V inflator, but I got very tired of coping with the cable and the ignition. I read this thread and as I already have several Ryobi tools, I bought their cheapest inflator. The analogue gauge is tiny and next to useless so I have sent it back and got the more expensive digital one; waiting for it to arrive.

However, I also bought a separate digital pressure gauge. That showed that my tyre pressures from the original inflator were around 36 PSI instead of 29. Once I corrected the pressures (confirmed at my local garage), the handling was transformed!