couple of problems

Hi all

My “Izzie” 89 Gleneagles special is in hibernation until April where I need to carry out a couple of minor? jobs on her

Firstly the soft top and plastic window. I had to undoe the zip on it late last year as it became too tight.

Do I have to undo the plastic window every time I fold down the roof as instructed by very fussy previous owner? and how do I get this to zip back on? Is there a technique? 

Secondly, the double electric switch to the windows is faulty on passenger side. Anywhere I can pick one up without going to main dealer?

Many thanks for looking

Cityboy

If the zip has simply come off the end then it’s just a matter of finding the ends and putting the zip back on.

In relation to the rear screen then yes I would suggest unzipping the window  efore lowering the hood, the reasoning behind this is to stop the fragile plastic screen from cracking.

If you are looking for a switch try Autolink mx5 they may have one in stock.

Have you checked it is the switch and not something else?

if the zip is stiff, get a candle and rub lots both sides of zip you will be amazed at how free it seems. undo the two roof catches first to release the tension on the zip
also, yes, always unzip before lowering. it will be easy after the candle fix :slight_smile:

Don’t try and open the zip in cold weather, say below about 6 or 7 degC

If you unlatch the roof and move it back just a couple of inches then unzip the rear window panel it will unzip much easier and when you put the roof back up leave it a couple of inches from the windscreen then zip the rear panel up before finally latching the roof up tight.

I find it much easier this way and I put a large micro fibre drying towel on the rear plastic screen to stop the roof putting scratches in when lowered.