Current Golf the last manual one?

In the never ending pursuit of personal development I thought I’d tear myself away from the Daily Mail and go upmarket with the Telegraph 's latest swivel-eyed take in the EV debate. Thank God I take the Grauniad, along with the rest of the Metropolitan Elite and the Cabinet.

"Volkswagen is so concerned about flagging sales that it has taken the extraordinary decision of halting electric vehicle production at one of its biggest plants. Assembly lines for electric models will be paused for six weeks at the Emden factory in northwest Germany and 300 of its 1,500 staff laid off after sales fell 30pc short of forecasts.

This means production of the new VW ID.7 electric model, which had been due to commence in July will be pushed back until the end of the year. The ID.4 electric SUV and the upcoming ID.7 electric sedan will also be delayed.

“We are experiencing strong customer reluctance in the electric vehicle sector,” plant boss Manfred Wulff said.

That is remarkably plain language from the largest car manufacturer on the planet, and a company that recently announced plans to invest €120bn (£103bn) over the next five years in “electrification and digitalisation”.

It comes months after Ford poured cold water on the shift to electric with thousands of job losses in Europe. Electric vehicle production is unable to support anything like the same number of jobs that petrol and diesel models are able to sustain, it said. Boss Jim Farley estimates that 40pc fewer staff will be needed to develop battery versions.

It’s industrial self-sabotage and a commercial, economic and social catastrophe in the making. But what’s worse is that the damage risks being far greater in the UK than anywhere else in the Western world thanks to the Government’s myopic obsession with arbitrary net zero targets.

While the rest of the industrial world seems to have largely settled on a 2035 deadline for petrol and diesel phase out, ministers, for reasons destined to remain a mystery, have decided Britain needs to hit this milestone five years earlier than everyone else.

It makes no sense at all, and yet the ramifications threaten to be huge. By diverting capital into something that lots of people essentially don’t want, it risks inflicting massive losses on an already fragile UK car industry.

It is pure fantasy to imagine that Britain – with a dearth of battery factories (consultants Alix Partners estimates as much as a third of Britain’s battery requirements will need to be imported), a paucity of chargers and dramatically higher energy costs – will be in any position to go fully electric in the next seven years. And the Government simply isn’t capable of solving any of these challenges in time, if at all.

The UK risks becoming the unfortunate guinea pig in a costly and dangerous experiment that persuades the rest of the world to push their own deadlines out even further, turning this country into an example of how not to become a nation of electric car owners.

Perhaps, instead of everyone rushing out to buy an electric car as the end of the decade nears, millions of people will simply hand over the keys to their obsolete petrol bangers, and choose to walk everywhere instead.

It would have the double benefit of being a spectacular protest move, at the same time as being entirely in keeping with net zero – great for the environment but terrible for the economy"

What drivel!

1 Like

Everyone I speak to assumes the 2030 cut-off will be slipped. It’s relatively easy to justify and they could throw the green lobby a bone by setting an absolute g/km limit for 5 years.

Suella Braverman reads the Grauniad? Shome mishtake shurely ? I’d put her down as a Mein Kampf kinda girl

Supported by the fact that the EU has backed down already and will be allowing e-fuel powered cars after 2035.

I read this factory shuts down every July. The workers on the EV line are being given a week longer. And 300 of the 1500 planned temporary staff are not being retained. Contractors only ever have 1 week notice on anything.

https://www.electrive.com/2023/06/27/vw-slows-down-ev-production-in-emden/

In the next two weeks until the plant holidays, the late shift for the production of the ID.4 and the first models of the new ID.7 will be cancelled. The three-week plant holidays are also to be extended by one week for workers in the E-segment. In addition, about 300 of the current 1,500 temporary workers in Emden will not be kept on as of August.

So some media are interpreting a cancellation of 2 weeks of later shifts, a regular 3 week summer holiday for most, and a 4 week holiday for some as 6 weeks of EV shutdown…

In Germany, VW builds EVs at two sites; Emden and Zwikau. Zwikau production is as normal. Plus the Emden plant originally was constructed to include EV production exported to the US. The US market for VW is now serviced by Tennessee built cars, which I think naturally leads to over capacity in Germany

Its about over production, rather than under sales. The Saxony government naturally agrees with anything VW of the Works Council says without presenting any evidence. They have no choice, given VW is the biggest employer there.

The slow down in Germany is thought to be due to the end of subsidies on plug in hybrids back in December.

May sales data in the UK:

EU EV sales in May grew 71%. The Netherlands saw 118% increase, Sweden 83%, France 49%, Germany 47%.

The VW story is something spun by the “Works Council”, which is a sort of union voice on VWs board. They want the German government to bring back plug hybrid subsidies. But they are stupid, because the main VW plug in hybrid, the Passat, is close to death. There is no replacement for it.

I expect they will be calling for trade barriers to be erected, to protect their members.

No one has actually published June sales numbers yet; the press releases are all about May. So I cannot fathom the source a union leader has on other brand sales performances. Of course, as month end approached, VW had an idea about their sales (though to be fair, my experience is that a full months sales are not known until sometime after month end).

Moot as E-fuel production will be prioritised for the airline and shipping industries. The legislation presented has been veto’d by Germany. Its currently $50 a liter. Maybe the price will come down, but only if there is a concomitant increase in demand and that literally is impossible post 2035, when the consumer has a choice of an electrified car or a petrol car. And it might not be much of a choice.

Its draft legislation, which means it needs to go through the EU parliament and then the council of ministers again, after Germany’s block. It will mean that at the petrol station you will now have diesel, E10, E5 and E-fuel. Drivers of new E-fuel cars will not be able to use E5 and E10 pumps (technical restrictions on these cars). Will the owners of petrol stations make the investments in new tanks and pumps? And if you read the article, while the EU, minus Germany, has agreed a policy to allow use of these precious e-fuels, it will require design and manufacture of new engines.

And note the final paragraph for those who believe in the fallacy of efuels. Planned efuel production worldwide will only meet 10% of German demand for shipping, aviation and chemicals. Germany accounts for about 2.5% of oil consumption. So current efuel production satisfies 0.25% of global oil consumption. Aviation and shipping account for 15% of oil consumption. So 10 years, thereabouts, to increase production by 6000%, coupled with a 50-fold reduction in price. Right.

So there is a condundrum. One the one hand there are some parties, with various plans, who believe human ingenuity will solve charging issues, manufacturing issues annd environmental impact issues associated with EVs (largely based on technologies that exist). On the other, there are those who believe human ingenuity will solve efuel production issues both with respect to volume and price, and carbon capture technologies that don’t currently exist

From Suelaman’s favourite daily, looks like nobody told this chap until after he had been driving for SEVENTY years :wink:Man driving for more than 70 years tells Notts police: ‘I’ve never had a licence’ | Nottingham | The Guardian.

Notice how driving without a licence can attract 3 to 6 penalty points :thinking:

I can believe that, from personal experience.

My mother was about to take her UK test, but the war happened and instead of Uni she joined the Met Office in the RAF, and was immediately driving 3tonners on a “service licence.”

The test.
Can you drive that?
Yes.
Here’s the keys, take it to Middle Wallop.

After the war she forgot about taking a test, and then we emigrated to Africa; wartime service licence and ten years driving experience was good enough for a local licence.
When she returned to UK for the final time in 1980s she discovered she needed to take a test for her first proper UK driving licence, as did her new partner with a similar history. She would have been a hundred this year.

There is a new Passat coming in fact:

New 2023 Volkswagen Passat: engines, technology and details | Auto Express

I have always had manual cars and generally only driven automatics as hire cars in America and NZ. Most have been ok apart from one 4 speed auto mazda that was awful. However we now own an auto Audi SQ2 and o have been very impressed with the DSG auto and almost prefer it to a manual. It changes really well and the different setting are excellent to suit what type of driving you are doing. It even has a ‘coasting’ ability in E setting which definitely improves the economy in city or motorway driving.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.