Cyclists on the roads

Oh dear! It does sound like Mr Aston might still have a few of his anger issues!

I am a bit upset to see that this forum, like most others, just rambles on about things that were perhaps prompted by the initial posting, but are actually missing the point.

Although I should have guessed it, it was not my intention to start yet another debate about whether we like or dislike cyclists. Neither was I interested in hearing people’s views on good driving, bad driving, anger management, manners etc. My question was, is it sensible for the government to jump on the bandwaggon and pump yet more borrowed money into funding an increase in cycling?

We are told by an ever increasing group of scientific experts, that during the Coronavirus pandemic, CO2 emissions have reduced significantly, and this is a attributed to big decrease in motoring amongst other things. We are also being advised to get off our backsides and exercise more, and in that respect, I have noticed a substantial increase in what I term “family cyclist”. Whilst making this observation, I have become very aware how much time I now spend in low gear, pushing out more fumes, and polluting the air in company with quite a lot of other cars and lorries that are queuing behind said cyclists.

Rather than slag off each other about the rights and wrongs of cycling, it would have been good to hear some opinions regarding my original question/observation. Our road networks have been systematically developed to achieve the fastest, safest way to get motor vehicles from A to B. In so doing, they appear to have shown no regard for the safety or convenience of cyclists. In fact, to gain entry to the nearest town from my somewhat rural location, cyclists have to literally take their life in their hands, due to the dangerous roads, roundabouts and junctions. Because of this, I cannot help but feel that encouraging even more cyclists to take this risk, is not the best idea right now in our cash strapped country.

The answer would be more dedicated cycle paths and dedicated cycle lanes, but in achieving that, it would be quite irresponsible to further impede the smooth progress of motor vehicles. Right now, it also doesn’t look like we have the funds to be even thinking about it. Let’s face it, the motor vehicle is very much here to stay right now, despite those that might wish otherwise, and I have to assume that the majority of you reading this, drive a rather small, impractical, polluting little sports car. That is your choice, and long may it be so. At the same time, let’s not get nasty about the owners of big SUV’s. Some of them might actually need such a vehicle, perhaps more so than we need our little sports cars. And if cyclists choose to pay big bucks for their bike, wear specially designed outfits, and shades similar to the ones I often see on MX-5 owners, topped off with a GoPro to perhaps record their journey, then good luck to them. Just like MX-5 owners, they are indulging in something they enjoy.

4 Likes

“I have to assume that the majority of you reading this drive a rather small, impractical, polluting little sports car”

Well considering that this is the forum on a website for owner’s of a certain brand of small, impractical, polluting little sports cars I would say that you’re spot on with that amazing observation. :+1: Well done!! :+1:

1 Like

Yeah but on your posts you have complained about cyclists so obviously people are going to respond otherwise it looks like we all agree with your comments.

1 Like

I am going to try and be constructive here. I have cycled on the continent many times and have never ever been subjected to the amount of aggression there that I have suffered here. Drivers and pedestrians in Spain, France and Portugal treat cyclists with far more respect and cyclists are often cheered good naturedly especially when riding mountain passes. Now, one difference in behavior on the continent (apart from being more patient) is that when drivers approach a group of cyclists or a single cyclist on the road ahead of them they give a polite little peep on their horn (not a blast!) before they get too close. This lets the cyclist/s know they are there, and in nearly all cases the cyclists will reorganize themselves to allow the motorist to pass safely, (which they only do when it is safe to do so).

When you are riding a cycle, it is quite often that you do not notice that a car is behind you because of wind noise etc. It is not that easy to keep looking behind you to check when you have to concentrate so hard on what is in front of you (lethal potholes, road debris etc.). When I have been cycling there have been a number of times when I did not realise a car was behind me, and have had no idea how long they have been following me for and how much frustration they may be suffering. Now if they had given a little peep on their horn to let me know they were there I would have pulled right over or even stopped to let them pass.

So remember: a polite little peep on the horn when you approach a cyclist from behind (not right behind) may prevent frustration. I hope this is seen as constructive.

5 Likes

This seems a very good idea. I do wonder though, how many British cyclists will simply give the vehicle approaching from behind, a finger ! Just saying !

1 Like

Oh c’mon Chris, there’s nothing to be lost in trying, and maybe if British motorists had used that approach as long ago a the continentals did there wouldn’t be the expectation of a hostile response these days, Just saying!
PS: They also toot others cars as a warning when about to overtake too, another good idea that would get a hostile response from a lot of drivers over here.

To answer your original point - perhaps drive a Toyota hybrid instead so you will be driving 100% on the battery when cursing along slowly enjoying the drive, producing no emissions at all

You’re right of course Roger, and I seriously think it’s a good idea. But the ever-present cynic in me just wonders how many generations it will take for motorists over here to take to the idea, and how long it will take for cyclists to realise that motorists are not necessarily just giving them a toot to simply get them out of the way ! This animosity does work both ways.

1 Like

Yes Chris, I agree with how some cyclists (and motorists) would/will respond to a warning “toot”, but as I said that’s because we’ve not been brought up to that tradition, so that’s “our” fault in general, not one specific group’s.
PS: Highway Code 112 - “The Horn - Use only when your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.”
PPS: Never “toot” horses (livestock) see Highway Code 214.

1 Like

A quick toot would be the perfect solution ,if the cyclists looked round , thumbs up moved over a bit or went into single file , everyone’s happy, but if the toot is taken the wrong way , as a " get out of my way " then the gestures and swearing will start, but hopefully not, because I’m gonna try it next time and see what happens, and hope it works , as it will save my wife holding her head in her hands and sinking down into the seat. ,

1 Like

My pal’s Bentley had a switch for the horn for “Town” or “Country”. Do we need a switch for “Non-agressive” and “Road Rage”?

A chap on another forum was run off the road recently when a lumbering taxi pulled out as he was overtaking it. I did wonder why he hadn’t sounded his horn, particularly as he was overtaking two cars at once.

Fitted to the driver you mean? :thinking: Now there’s an idea! :smiley: :+1:

This is a very emotive subject with many different veiws and could go on forever, but for me personally, when we go out in the 5 ,I’m as happy as I was when riding my motorbikes and enjoy every minute, and like everybody else, don’t want any stressful situations ,so I’ll try the gentle toot method among others to see if I can find out what works best with a bunch of cyclists without any upsets… …hopefully

3 Likes

Try telling the traffic cop you were fiddling with that for safety reasons as there are female cyclists ahead😂

2 Likes

Mine is the chipping of cars to make these annoying bangs and pops at normal road speeds, it’s the sort of noises usually heard on highly tuned rally-cross vehicles

2 Likes

Road tax does not pay for the roads. It goes into a consolidated fund. All tax payers pay tax to pay for the roads. If anything road tax is a tax on pollution. A car that pollutes more pays more vehicle excise duty. As electric cars and cyclists do not pollute driving on the roads they pay no tax. The drivers who shouts out get off the road to a cyclist because they pay no tax is showing their ignorance.

2 Likes

That is probably correct these days, but when I started driving in the 1970s, all cars were taxed the same - pollution didn’t even come into the equation.

Even given that cyclists do not pollute the atmosphere, and therefore need not pay road tax, I still feel that cyclists should have to have a licence to ride on the public highway, and that cycles should carry some kind of identifying marks (number plate if you like), so that should they get into any trouble on the road, the police would find it easier to identify the rider.

1 Like

Forget it Chris, it’s a non-starter. It would just waste money better spent elsewhere and add another layer of un-enforceable bureaucracy to our lives.
PS: I’ve already pointed out some of the problems with the registration suggestion in posts 36 and 42 on the “New Speed Limits” thread.

Let’s have a go at motorbikes…

Around 30 mins ago one starts up in the next street to us, can always hear it when it does. He then leaves it running for around 5 mins before setting off. Comes round out of his road and on to the main road going past our house, at this point it’s deafening. We can definitely say he’s taking the canal road out on his journey, that’s 1 mile away and we can still hear the bike going down that road. How can that be legal?
I’m glad I don’t live right next to him, I think I would have concreted up his exhaust pipe by now

We that last bit not really :grin: I do have some handy as I’ve been doing a bit of block laying :+1:

I’ve digressed, love cyclists if you give way they do too on the whole.:+1:

1 Like

If you did use the concrete option he would certainly be “Baffled”! :crazy_face:
Please excuse me, it’s the heat! :hot_face:

1 Like