David's Mid Week run on 11th May to The Muckleburgh Collection

Norfolk Fives meet at 9.15am Taverham Garden Centre, NR8 6HT, on area to left after entrance. Depart 9.30am along country roads driving for about 50 mins to our pit stop at Wiveton Hall Café, Glandford. Here you can grab a coffee. Then on to Muckleburgh Collection, Weybourne arriving about 11.30am.OR in light of weather forecast a drive via Langham Dome to Thursford Collection. This option to be discussed at start as the rain curse that bedeviled our last season of Mid Week runs looks to be returning. Thursford’s displays are all indoors. Thursford claims to have the world’s largest collection of steam engines and organs, hear Robert Wolfe one of the world’s leading theatre organists play the mighty Wurlitzer at 12.30pm and 2pm daily, ride on fairground carousels (extra charge) and the gondola (currently under restoration I believe) and watch silent movies. There is a cafe.

The Muckleburgh Military Collection (NR25 7EH) is one of the finest private Museum of military memorabilia in the United Kingdom. The Collection includes tanks, guns, missiles and vehicles that have been gathered from all over the world. The heavy tanks, Russian T55, Centurion & Patton are on display but better not complain about our cars fuel consumption when the Patton uses 3 gallons of petrol to the mile! The Museum incorporates the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry collection as well as RAF Reconnaissance and Air Sea Rescue and Marine Craft exhibits. Entry fee £12pp. There is a café on site.

Return route will be about an hour; via Cawston, Felthorpe, Taverham to the A47 roundabout near Easton (western end of Norwich bypass) but drivers to peel off for home accordingly.

Please let me know if you intend to join this run. David.

‘The List’
David
Laurie
Mick & Gella
Andy & Mel

It sounds as though it’s going to be another brilliant run thanks.
As my NB received its yearly stay of execution yesterday with no advisories, I haven’t any excuse not to attend as long as I don’t end up at the wrong start point (B&Q) !!
Laurie

Laurie.
Pleased for you that your 5 will continue your journeys with you. See you for the meet at Taverham, I hope I too remember to be there.

Hi David can you put Gella and me down for this. Hopefully make Taverham but if not will catch up at The Grey Seal, best wishes Mick

Mick & Gella,
Great, see you either at the alternative starting point or at the cafe.

Hi David, would you please put me down for this one. See you at 5.15 this Wednesday. Thanks.
Mark

Mark,
You’re on the list.
David

Could you put me down for this please

Ian

Ian,
You’re on the list.

Afternoon David, please add Christine and I to your mid week run to The Muckleburgh Collection next week. Cheers Phil

Phil & Christine,
Look forward to seeing you and you are ‘on the list’.

Hi David

We would like to join you on Wednesday in our MK1. Looking forward to meeting you, it will be our first event with the Norfolk 5s :sunglasses:

Andy,
I’ll add you to the list and welcome.

David

Afternoon David,
We are not now able to take part in your mid week Muckleburgh run tomorrow.
Have a good day.
Kind regards,
Phil & Christine

Phil & Christine. Thanks for letting me know, weather doesn’t look good. Hope to see you on another Mid Week run.
David

David,

Sorry but I cannot do tomorrow now.
Good luck and have a nice day

Ian

Ian,
You’re not the first and I doubt you’ll be the last to drop out of tomorrow’s run - heavy rain forecast. You’d get flooding in that car of yours even going through a puddle it’s so low to the ground. Catch up another time, well in your case overtake. All the best.
David

Hi David, you were right Ian wasn’t the last one to drop out of tomorrow’s run. I also won’t be coming but hope to see you soon (perhaps at next weeks monthly meet).

Mark

Mark,
Quite understand. I’m never sure that messaging on this system means others have read a message so I I’ll be at the start to sort things out for those who do or might turn up. All the best.
David

Well for those intrepid Mid Weekers who continued with this event, they are named on the role of honour, ‘THE LiST’ I reckon we had a good day.
Light rain to Wiveton Hall where the cafe was a hit, certainly of caffeine.

The toilet with a view - for those not privy to using this room.

Then on to Thursford our dry venue standing in for Muckleburgh. We stopped enroute at Langham Dome, with its replica Spitfire. The site but not open so must return as it was a WW2 anti aircraft training centre which used projected images onto the inside of the dome.

Finally to the Thursford Collection of steam engines, fairground displays including Gallopers & Gondolas, fairground organs and the Mighty Wurlitzer. I failed to get my head round the equivalent of a 1916 12hp steam engine hauling 50 tons with an ICE powered engine of today. If Mechanical horsepower, also known as imperial horsepower, is approximately equivalent to 745.7 watts of power. While boiler horsepower, which is used to measure the output of steam boilers is with one boiler horsepower roughly equivalent to 9,810 watts. Then this steam engine produces 117,720 watts. A Volvo FH D13 truck of 500hp produces 372,500 watts. So I guess someone got it right ditching steam for internal combustion engines. Ok I’ll be hammered by the engineers out there for the above workings, only I won’t because they would never pick up a hammer. That’s a technician’s job my engineer friend tells me but then he drives a Porsche.

Until our next Mid Week run. David