David's Mid Week Runs Return

Norfolk Fives Watch Out as David’s Mid Week Runs will take place on the following dates:
11th August - The Long Shop
25th August - West Acre Garden & Castle Rising
8th September - RAF Radar Museum
13th October – Norfolk Tank Museum
10th November – Minsmere RSPB Nature Reserve

Details of the first run are below, numbers limited to 15. Sign up via this topic on the Forum, please do not try to reach me via facebook as I do not use that platform. It’s been awhile since we’ve zoom zoomed around the County and seen each other but I’ve tried to make up for this with two runs in August and later run than usual in November. Fingers crossed for good weather on all these dates.

11th August - The Long Shop – Entry fee £6.50 pp – Max 15

Our visit is to Leiston Works, or Garretts was one home of steam power. ‘The Long Shop’ itself is a very early example of a building designed for assembly-line production. Richard Garrett applied production line methods to the mass manufacture of larger machinery pre-dating Henry Ford’s factory lines by 50 years. The portable steam engine was an ideal product but would need a special building. The Long Shop was started in 1852 and opened for production in 1853. Garret’s engines are frequently seen at fairs and ‘steam’ meets.

Masks to be worn in confined areas of museum. Tickets valid 12 months revists.

Norfolk Fives meet at 9.15am B&Q South car park, Neatmarket, NR4 6DW

Run to Diss for coffee & bacon bap (no café at the Long Shop) max 15 at café. Then 50 min run to Leiston, Suffolk for the Long Shop Museum IP16 4ES

Route directions for SATNAV using Google maps or to print off yourself will be available including a 1hr 10 min return run to the junction of A47/A146.

2 Likes

Hi David - please put me down for the Long Shop run. It’ll be good to see you again. Looking forward to it already.

Richard W.

Richard,
You are 2nd on the list, only because I have counted myself as one of the fifteen places. Be good to catch up. Get the rust off the tyres???
David

Hi David,

It is great to see your runs are back. I hope to get a day or two off work mid week to join you on these.

Ian

Hi David,
Thanks for doing the organising for this and could you add me to your list. No doubt, due to past form, we can expect rainy Wednesdays as being the norm!!
Thanks, Laurie

1 Like

Laurie,
Glad you’re up for this run. If I need an official brolly person for wet days I know who to go to. mind you don’t all our cars wear a ‘hood’. 2021 Weds are never rainy days, its official (T&C apply). You are in at No.3.

David

Could you put me down for this run please. I have just retired so can now do mid-weeks. Not sure if I am going to risk the MK1 for the first outing of the year or go safe with the MK3.5

IPD - you are most welcome. A choice of cars, well your Mk3.5 will be in good company as my 3.5 will be there on the day and a close relative (the car not the driver) in a 3.75. See you at B&Q South’s car park 9.15am Wednesday.
David

ref. The Long Shop run Wednesday 11th.
Here are our routes to and from The Long Shop in Google maps.
Any problems uploading to your phone let me know. I may need a mobile phone number to send by alternative means.
Outward route:

Return route:

1 Like

Ok guys I can see that link didn’t work. May need phone nos. although I recall doing this before lockdown but memory of how to has been lost to time.
David

David

Despite retiring, something has come up which means I cannot make this one.
I will try again next month.

Ian

Hi David

Could you put me down for the castle rising run please.
Will have to charge the wee beastie up and get her going…
Many thanks

Jilly :cherry_blossom:

Ok Ian, duly noted.
David

Jilly,
I’ll open a new topic for each run but look forward to seeing you on this run.
David

Many thanks David for a smashing run well organised. A select group and perfect weather. Roll on the next one!

Richard W.

1 Like

Thanks Dave for a brilliant run today. A gourmet breakfast stop and a potential gourmet cake tea stop (I was too full from the morning meal to try the cake out) on the return added to a first-class full day experience.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie & Richard, I enjoyed the run and the company and we didn’t have any rain - argh ‘Commentators Curse’ it’ll tip down on the 25th.
David