Daytime driving lights

I have looked at the FAQs with no success, I have a venture edition mk3 in stormy blue and the colour plus lack of DRLs has led to several occasions where I seem to have been invisible. I have seen several cars with the spots replaced with DRLs. Are there companies selling these as retro kits or are they DIY conversions.

Is this of any interest?

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst111671_Stealth-DRL-s-on-NC.aspx

There are various solutions. The simplest is to replace the fog light bulbs with LED equivalents and get a cheap DRL controller relay off e-Bay. Another option is to replace the indicator bulbs with switchback LEDs and a DRL controller relay; they act as DRLs until you indicate, then switch. The ‘not cheap’ option is these

I’ve ended-up fitting the last two options…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycNJrBsaJtM&t=1s

Just the MX5Parts/IL Motorsport DRL/Fog Light conversion: Linky

I have just done a DRL conversion on my mk2 using switchback bulbs & one of those e-bay controllers. It works well but I felt that the dim function didn’t quite dim them enough for night use so also wired in a simple change over relay into the circuit so the DRLs are off completely when the lights are turned on.

I presume you found power in the engine bay, in the end? 

Barrie

Cheers Barrie. I wasn’t sure to post this in that thread or this. I only managed to find a permanent live supply so I connected to that with the DRL controller so they still work automagically but I interrupted the outlet supply from that to the DRLs with the relay so they are off completely whenever the lights are turned on yet still retain the useful stay on for a bit function.

1 Like

Hi Mac5 I’m interested in the Switchback idea but wondered what exactly do I need. From the video I see I obviously need the bulb kit (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=comments&stzid=UgyZjDQrvFHX2rn_5nB4AaABAg.8j3sBTCdMwn8j6stDgt13R&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F2x-50W-7440-T20-42-LED-2835-Dual-Color-Switchback-LED-DRL-Turn-Signal-Light-Kit%2F263536561968%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649&redir_token=Iekg6p-ZZtCXZOv7QMZRyFKP12p8MTU3MjI3OTU3NEAxNTcyMTkzMTc0) but do I need a DRL Controller Relay as well? If so do you have an example of one please?

Yes the controller is needed to dim the DRL’s when the side lights come on . Costs around £3  on eBay

controller…

Excellent, thank you 

All this DRL and Switchback systems (whatever they are !) does seem rather complicated to me (sorry but I’m knocking on a bit, and don’t do modern technology that well !).

Tell me please, what is wrong with simply driving around during the day with your headlights on ?  That is what I do, whatever the weather and lighting conditions - I have a Galaxy Grey MX-5, which, when I first got it, seemed to be invisible to motorists until I saw the light (sorry for the pun !).

I know several people who actually drive around with headlights and front fog lights working during the day.  Not technically legal of course, but until they told me, I hadn’t realised what they did, and I doubt if many traffic cops would be able to tell the difference between DRLs and fog lights either. 

[quote=Chris Phillips]

All this DRL and Switchback systems (whatever they are !) does seem rather complicated to me (sorry but I’m knocking on a bit, and don’t do modern technology that well !).

Tell me please, what is wrong with simply driving around during the day with your headlights on ?  That is what I do, whatever the weather and lighting conditions - I have a Galaxy Grey MX-5, which, when I first got it, seemed to be invisible to motorists until I saw the light (sorry for the pun !).

I know several people who actually drive around with headlights and front fog lights working during the day.  Not technically legal of course, but until they told me, I hadn’t realised what they did, and I doubt if many traffic cops would be able to tell the difference between DRLs and fog lights either. 

hi chris , 

take a minute or two to watch this , 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycNJrBsaJtM&t=1s

they are REALLY simple to fit and for less than £20 could make a difference to you being seen or not 

DRLs put out a more distinctive light that is more visible during daylight conditions than normal lights on. Unfortunately this means that if they are used at night may cause annoyance to other road users. These DRL controllers are supposed to dim them when the main lights are turned on but I suspect by not enough so as said before have wired in a an additional changeover relay into the circuit so if the main lights are on then DRLs are off completely.

Just for a quick update. I have had 2 of these controllers on now & both have gone faulty & not turned the lights off. Presumably cheapo ching chong electrics don’t like under bonnet warmth. So I have just ended up with the switchover relay fed from an aux live supply (CIG lighter fuse)

[quote=Phoenix22]

Just for a quick update. I have had 2 of these controllers on now & both have gone faulty & not turned the lights off. Presumably cheapo ching chong electrics don’t like under bonnet warmth. So I have just ended up with the switchover relay fed from an aux live supply (CIG lighter fuse)

hi when i fitted the drl’s behind the grill, they took probably around 40 - 50 seconds to turn off sometimes , but with the switchbacks fitted ( wired into same controller ) the lights all turnoff in 15 seconds 

i’m NO electrician , but i’m guessing its something to do with the load on the controller 

They detect the voltage increase when the engine/alternator starts and the corresponding drop when everything is switched off. It usually takes several seconds for the voltage to drop below the threshold which is why they stay on longer than the switchbacks.

I’m guessing the controller wouldn’t be much use on newer cars, such as the BMW X5, which have alternators that only run when they’re needed as the DRLs would be flashing on and off (unlike the redundant orange lights they fit in the corners).

2 Likes

Here are pics of mine. Switchbacks replace the indicators & a couple of strip sequential indicators added above the headlamps.

image uploaders

1 Like

The DRL kit finally arrived (via slow-boat) from China and today fitted it to my NC 3.75, hooked up to a DRL controller, all as shown in previous post by @bally3. It’s tricky to get at everything and finding a neat route for the wiring tested my patience somewhat, but hallelujah, it works! The DRLs come on when the engine is started, then go off after a short delay when the engine is stopped.
However, the DRL controller input needs connecting to a circuit that is live when the lights are on, so that the DRLs dim down. From my trusty Haynes manual, I can see that the side lights front and rear are supplied by a black/green wire, but finding/accessing one is near impossible, as the wiring looms are so tightly wrapped that there’s no telling where such might be found; even the wiring at the lights themselves is inaccessible.
Has anybody on here done this successfully (I’m sure the answer must be Yes) and can you advise where you hooked in to the lighting circuit?

Piggy back fuse from the dip lights fuse.
It has been quite a while since i fitted mine and fuse number 20??? rings a bell, but i could be wrong.

I gave up with the DRL controller in the end, cheap ching Ching electrics were not that good. I just wired in a switchover relay to control them. Cheap, effective, legal & reliable. All for about £3.50.