Desert Island Discs

This was one of her most heartbreaking performances. It’s the little look on her face at the end. Incredibly sad

2 Likes

She gave so much more love than she ever got back sadly :frowning:

1 Like

Agreed, very much so. Hard to think she was a year younger than I am now when she died. So much more music that never was

1 Like

Karen Matheson singing Crucán na bPáiste is stunning, and I don’t speak Gaelic!

As you do not want your 5 songs to repeat too often - I have gone for some longer tracks and some of the best by my favorite artists:

Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond (parts 1-5)
Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Tangerine Dream - Cloudburst Flight (a fantastic 7 1/2 minutes of instrumental)
Eagles - Hotel California

I could easily add more, but at the moment, I would go for those…

Book - Douglas Adams Hitchhikers - you can get a single book with all 5 volumes - so would go for that

Luxury - A large sharp knife - on a desert Island you would need one, or if that was not considered a luxury item and you get a method to play your music - a thick lined pad with pencils, as I would like to write a book and do some drawing as it would keep me amused for quite a while

Ask me tomorrow and everything would be different!!

2 Likes

Though it’s coooollld and lonely in the deep dark nights…

Sing it with me! :rofl:

Classic tune!

Also, you can have the paper and pencils (in suitable waterproof case) as I carry my Swiss Army everywhere with me, don’t consider it a luxury and I more than approve of your creativity! Let us know when the book’s coming out :grin:

1 Like

I used to sing that song in full when I was doing my paper round as a teenager on a Thursday night delivering the “Preston Citizen” in the early 1980’s…300 papers for £2.40!

I think I need to be alone on a Desert Island to get the time to write a book!

I do like science fiction and started making some notes on my theories behind Dark Matter and the nature of space/time, but as I have thought about the subject more I need to go back and revise them.

However I would write a “Space Opera”, as I like those best and would love to do one…

1 Like

If this helps at all, I’ve just finished writing a book and have begun querying agents. Took roughly about 6 months to write and am still fine-tuning the editing but the characters had been in my head for at least 4 or 5 years before I ever got around to putting pen to paper…or finger to iPad, anyway. It just got to the stage where the plots twists began developing in my mind and I couldn’t ignore it anymore, I had to get it out. The short way of saying all this is just that these things tend to happen when the timing is right and we have the mental space to do it justice. I look forward to reading your work in the future :+1:

Also, seems to me you were bargain labour!!! :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the info - sounds like an interesting/challenging, but hopefully worthwhile endeavor…

What is your book - presumably a novel, but which genre?

I understand that there are ways to get “published digitally” via Amazon, but I am not sure it is that great for the writer as amazon does not pay well, but I am going back to something I saw on the TV a few years ago, so cannot remember too much.

And yes, my rate is a bit better now!!! thankfully…

1 Like

My book’s a dual-narrative about a woman who reluctantly ends up living in a dilapidated house in the Highlands. While exploring the house, she comes across a letter written by the previous owner to whoever moves into the house. Eventually, through learning about the crazy lives of the previous owners, she manages to overcome her own demons. Finished up about 97,000 words.

I agree, self-publishing is not a route I particularly want to go down, I’d much rather go the traditional route and get a proper agent

Sounds interesting! Good luck with the book and I hope you find a publisher. Sounds like there may be some element of personal experience in there somewhere…

Let me know if you get it published and I will buy a copy to read as it sounds interesting. First sale already!!!

1 Like

Haha, great to know, thank you. And yeah, there’s definitely some personal elements in the book. Very observant :blush:

:wink:

I am interested to know what the previous owner has written in her letter now!!! Get it published quickly!!!

1 Like

Haha, well it takes us from the Boer War all the way through to the late 1920s :grin::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Sounds like there may be some element of personal experience in there somewhere…

well it takes us from the Boer War all the way through to the late 1920s

Crikey you are old :rofl:

Do NOT get involved with self-publishing firms, they are know as “Vanity publishers”, they’ll take your money (quite a lot!) and all you’ll end up with is 100 or so indifferently printed and bound books that you’ll have to sell yourself as they will not have any links to bookshops or on-line retailers as the real publishers do.

1 Like

Also even if you are selling them yourself, I found it was very difficult to get any money out of Bertrams the Amazon wholesaler. They still owe me for 23 books (1, then 2, then 20), and I refused to send them any more until I was paid.
So most of the thousand were sold from the website, at signings, talks on SF and to contacts. Also the cover image is not really what I wanted, too childish. I have a few left to give away having covered the costs, and the more in circulation the better. My website is down at the moment, but here is an Az link where second-hand copies are for sale.

PM me if you want a free copy

Six written so far, now into the seventh, but the only publishers interested so far are the vanity type - endless stream of those contacting me. I found it much cheaper to print a thousand in Pakistan! Unfortunately the final quality of print, paper size and assembly was not what I asked for and nowhere near that of the pair of initial proofs - long story about that and not for here.

1 Like

Nine Below Zero , saw them live , a totally underrated band .

1 Like

Totally agree, I’ve seen them quite a few times over the years and chatted to them after the gig, really nice guys and to top it all Dennis Greaves the singer/guitarist is a Spurs fan so you can’t get better than that. Their problem is that they play the wrong type of music in playing the blues. Did you know, they were the first band to play on The Young Ones TV show with Eleven Plus Eleven?

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing them on the Young Ones , for some reason I remember the hamster was called SPG . I also saw The Truth at the Marquee, was deaf for about 3 days afterwards. Shame about his choice of football teams , he’d look much better in claret and blue :wink:

2 Likes