Desperate Help Needed

Dear All,

I’ve owned my Eunos Roadster for almost a year. It’s an Auto model, 1995. It’s been fine up until it broke down on me in October. I was on the M5, and there was a gradual losss of power, the HEAT warning lamp came on, and the car eventually ground to a hault.

The AA towed me to a garage they suggested, where the car has been sat ever since. The garage has a good local reputation, but the chap who runs it has no idea what is wrong with the car. The AA chap said that the car was running very rich.

The plugs and leads were replaced (twice) at first as the engine was diagnosed as missfiring. This did not solve the problem. The tempreture gauge has also been replaced, but no joy with this either. A new Catalyst was also fitted, as the missfire caused the original one to errode. The ECU is not generating any fault codes. I’m told by the garage that the car sometimes refuses to start at all.

I, and the chap running the garage, are out of ideas, and hope someone on the forums could point us in the right direction.

Any help would be more than appreciated, I’m really pulling my hair out after 3 months of the car sitting in a garage. Thanks!

If its running rich has anyone checked/replaced the O2 sensor?

Hi there. It would appear that the car will start sometimes but not run for any length of time. I would suggest the coilpack is breaking down or Cam angle sensor, these would not show as fault codes. Is your car a 1.6 or 1.8 litre? Also where are you situated in the country as I may be able to help, cheers,Richard

Hi, thanks for the replies so far. I hadn’t thought about the O2 sensor, though the coilpack was going to be my next suggestion to the garage. Just not cheap as I understand, and I’m in £350 so far with the cat and sensor! The car is a 1.8, I believe all the automatic cars were. Thanks for you suggestions so far!  

G’day mate, Welcome to the Forum

It would be really helpful to know whereabouts in the country you are

Did it actually overheat? Have the garage done a compression test?

The car did not overheat, only the catalyst. As compression test has been done. There’s fuel, compression, and spark from the plugs, so the car should start.

Thanks for your continued input. Oh, and I’m in Worcester, England. Thanks!  

Fuel ok, compression ok, spark ok…is the spark occuring at the right time, I would suspect the CAS

Could you enlighten me as to what the CAS is please? Is is the camber angle sensor my friend? Thanks.

CAS=Crank angle sensor. It’s mounted on the back of the cylinder head, on the exhaust side of the engine. It works out when to fire the plugs in relation to the cam/crank position, ie the “timing”. They are known to fail.

You can get a second hand one from here
http://www.boundville.co.uk/coil-pack-mx-5-18-mk1-1993-95-4-pin-bpe8-18-10xa-used-1142-p.asp

Hi All. All the above has been replaced or checked; the coil pack (replaced), O2 sensor, and CAS. We’re down to either the ECU itself, or perhaps the immobiliser? It was fitted aftermarket, could that cause problems? It is after all a starting problem I’m stuck with. Thanks!