Differential on RF Automatic 2L? 2017

Thanks @Mad_Malc , I don’t like unnecessarily to cause alarm and despondency and you confirm it first hand. Did it look OK?

I used the recommended SG1 Mazda oil too, on the basis that what was in there looked perfect after 5 years and the case wasn’t full of bits. The manual doesn’t distinguish between manual and automatic in the oil recommendation for the differential.
diff oil

I used the Sealey pump to fill it up.

The oil itself must be OK as they effectively say it’s filled for life. I’m not keen on that, differentials usually have a breather and it’s not impossible it will get some water in even if the owner (who might not be the first one) is not aware of its having been immersed.

1 Like

Hi guys. The differential is the same I think as in the 1.5 Litre. I read on Mazda.net there is no differentiation in terms of oil for all the differentials, LSD included. So same oil for both open and limited differentials.

Automatic box is the same as the NC.

I don’t see the harm in changing the fluids for both differential and automatic gearbox. It won’t be done by me though. I will have to get my local approved Mazda dealer to take care of this because I am no engineer.

Thanks.

Thanks Mad_Malc.

What years (production) were the ND’s? Maybe this is year related? i.e. errors at a specific time in the factory?

Thanks.

Hi John,

In both cars the oil looked fine with virtually zero debris on the magnet as did the gearbox oils. Those in the know that I trust recommend changing both on a regular basis due to ‘heat’ damage to the oil that may not be apparent visually.

For clarity the oil I refer to (JWS3309) is for automatic gearboxes.

:heart: :heart:

1 Like

Looks like the Mobil oil will work.

Do you use that for your automatic gearbox?

Sorry if I have miss led you, we have the manual. I was just trying to be helpful.
:heart:

1 Like

I might leave the automatic transmission oil. It seems the auto box is a sealed unit and has to be removed? Seems a big job. Would the automatic transmission then have to be re-calliberated? Might not be worth the risk changing it. Was quoted a semi-large sum too.

Is the rear-open differential oil easy to access? Or will this also require a large disassembly?

You can do the diff oil without jacking the car, obviously there will be more room if you do. It is not a difficult job.

Remember to undo the filler plug first just to be safe. Plus remember that the filler hole is the level guide so make sure the car is level when you refill. New washers would be ideal but you can usually get away with using the old ones again. These Beal UK - Workshop Supplies & Automotive Consumables sell the washers. I used this Sealey Oil Suction Syringe Vacuum Fluid Transfer Extractor Pump Gearbox 500ml | eBay to refill the diff but a turkey baster would probably do. Finally do NOT overtighten the drain or filler plugs.

1 Like

Thanks Mad_Malc.

All work will be carried out by my local Mazda dealer. Since it is not a complex job I think I will get the differential oil done. Will get the service engineer to tell me whether old oil was dirty/smelly/underfilled.

Will ask for new washers.

1 Like

I do not think you have been given the right information about replacing the auto transmission fluid. Have a look here Manual pages - MX5 Manual | Mazda MX5 (Mk4) 2015+

If this was a Mazda dealer I would not be confident in anything they tell you. As you can see this is NOT a sealed unit and a fluid change is reasonably straight forward. Checking the level is a little more complex but I think you have had your ‘plonker’ pulled.

I would take this information to the garage and ask for an explanation of their information and price they want to charge you.

As for the diff, the oil is about £25 and if should take a dealer half an hour to do.

Caution would be my advice.

1 Like

OK thanks for that. I have PM’d you.