Disabling the alarm

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ mk2.5 Sport VVT
  2. I’m based near: __ Gloucestershire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ turning the alarm off :frowning:

I have some intermittent issues with the alarm going off while it’s just sat on the driveway, and would like some way of disabling it for an extended period of time. Maybe switching it into some sort of garage mode?

I do appreciate this might have some insurance issues should it get nicked and that it’s not solving the real problem of what’s causing it to go off… but I’m not likely to get that solved in the next few days and I (and my neighbours) would like to be sure it doesn’t choose to go off in the middle of the night.

I was wondering if it would be a simple as disconnecting the battery but feel an alarm shouldn’t be that easy to stop. :smiley:

Cheers

The alarm on my mk3 would go off intermittently until I discovered the my hands free device was left switched on in the car and was interfering with the alarm. Switching off the hands free solved the problem although not sure if a mk2.5 alarm would be affected in the same way.

When I replaced my 2.5 with a 3.5 I was surprised by the alarm going off for no reason until I twigged that it was caused by leaving a cellphone in the car. This implies that electronic devices do not interfere in this way with 2.5 alarms and the OP, sadly, should look for another solution!

The mk2.5 alarm is nothing fancy really, just relying on the door, boot & bonnet switches to mechanically contact earth to go off. If one of these gets even just a little damp then it will be enough to set the alarm off. My bet is a damp bonnet switch. Either that or there is a cat jumping on it. Mine went off a couple of times & cat prints on the bonnet gave it away.

The system is generally very reliable & works well unobtrusively in the background. I had the car for over 2 years before I knew it even had one.

1 Like