DIY Brake Pads

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2008 2.0 Sport

Is replacing brake pads a job for experts only or is it straightforward to diy?

It’s a straightforward job if you have the tools. Jack, axle stand(s) brake rewind tool for the rear (not absolutely necessary) and I use a G clamp for the fronts. Those two tools to push the calipers back for the new pads to fit.
Most of all you’ll need to service the brakes before fitting new pads. That means cleaning and lubing the slide pins and checking free movement of those and the actual caliper piston. When all good the fit the new pads. Oh and don’t forget, if the discs look worn then a good idea to get those changed to. A bit more work involved, you’ll have to removed the pad carrier bracket.
A bit daunting then leave it to an expert?

2 Likes

Make sure you use Red Rubber Grease on the slide pins

2 Likes

And something like Ceratec on the pad to carrier contact points to prevent funny noises.

All the grease you need in one kit:

pads are a fairly straightforward job.
just follow the instructions in your Haynes manual, take your time and be mindful and if something starts stressing you out just take a break and have a cup of tea and read through the manual again or watch some how-to youtube videos

1 Like

There are some very dodgy or misleading u tube videos like the one suggesting using a g clamp to retract the rear piston on an NC……

that’s why i always say watch multiple videos

I had a look at mine (MK2) but still plenty of meat on the pads - had done them on my old Audi 80 spot before, but that was a few years ago - had a look on YouTube - loads of videos on doing the breaks on an MX5 and even the discs included in some - easy peasy I’d say.

I watched a video on rears of nd & the guy used a big flat screw driver to sort of screw the piston back in. I am presuming this is because of the hand brake or is this a misguide?

Yes, they need winding back on the rears, the handbrake is self adjusting.