Donington MX-5 Only Day - now Sunday 11th December

After the success for the on, off, on, off MX-5’s only day at Donington last November, :stop_sign: :construction: :racing_car: :roller_coaster: we had almost universal requests to run another one next year. Getting track space is actually hard for next year, but we got there. So Monday 21st November 22. the Monday after the day at Oulton Park. It is popular, 25% sold out already after just a week. Don’t miss out! BOOK HERE

4 Likes

That’s very expensive, such a shame

Do we get a club discount from the 159? If yes how cuz I’d like to book this please. thanks

There is no club initiative in place, sorry.

It is not expensive relative to the cost of the circuit and the number of cars allowed.

2 Likes

Shame I live in the south. Would jump at this had I been nearer.

I only live 15 mins away from Donington and am tempted, but never driven on a racetrack.

Managed to maintain a safe distance at 8 -10 mph at Elvington, I wonder if that’s my capability limit :thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

To be honest the event being on a Monday in November I’d need to take the day off. Its not any cheaper from a weekend at Donington Park in November. I’s a bit of a shame. Not sure atm.

Well. you need to have good tyres on the car, and good brake pads (preferably track focused pads). Engine and car need to be in general tip top condition, if you will do a lot of them its advised to service and check the car frequently - otherwise the mx5 is a good car to take on track. If its your first trackday be mindful its not a race but there will be people that will think its a race and will want you to move out of the way. So if its an open pitlane - id avoid those if you are a novice.

That brings be to the next point. the 72 car limit - that’s a lot of cars even if they are mx5’s. And its an open pitlane… yea not great IMHO

Lets just put this to bed. Come or not.
The weekend hire price of Donington would not even be covered by 72 car at the price it is. There is a company offering a weekend date in November at £159. There would need to be a minimum of 95 cars booked to make that work, Another company is offering the Friday at £179, and all of that so you can go and play with the M3’s, Clio’s and Civic’s.
The way track days become cheaper, is you take more cars. 72 is a very low number of cars, they are not all out at once.
I love experts.

1 Like

I’m probably completely out of touch with prices now as its been so long since I ventured out, but given the passage of time, and my recollection how much it cost me then, that seems reasonable.

Tempted, but my MX5 , while well serviced, is getting on a bit (huge miles on it now). How hard on the cars is Donington? Guess I’d need to put a rollbar back in it (took the rollbar out years ago).

It can be as hard or as gentle as you want. It won’t be the GP, so it won’t have the brake killing Melbourn loop. You can bounce it off the limiter all day or just carry the speed in a higher gear. There is always someone faster, just ask Max, or Lewis.

I have done quite a few times Donnington on the bike but never in a car. Personally its my favourite track, its not as wide as Silverstone but at least for the bike it was plenty. The national has some sausage kerbs at the end of the braking where you join the start/end straight. Avoid them sausage kerbs. Places where you can come off is on the craner curves where there is elevation change and the car/bike unloads. On the bike you can overtake a lot of people there if you feel brave but I don’t think I would do that in a road car.

1 Like

2,10,000 on this now!

Sweary one

1 Like

Booked! I also don’t have much experience but will probably get some more before then. A tip from the instructor at a Seighford novice day earlier in the year was to take it easy in the morning and then go out in the afternoon when it might not be as busy.

F*** yes, nice overtake

We have lost straight line speed, so that had been a year long coming as normally they just walked by. Clip - YouTube

1 Like

Well I’m booked. Also booked a garage It should be plenty to fit two mx5’s if anyone wants to share.

I am very tempted to book this too, having just done Blyton today in my standard MK1 (apart from bucket seats, harness and roll bar). Looks a bit scary for a relative novice though - or is it ok? Bargain price for a proper race circuit.

1 Like

imho yes. doni is pretty safe track with loads runoff areas. take it slow and slowly build up the pace.