Drain hole impossible to find - MK3

Power roof factory fit option???..it’s a different MX5

A couple of years ago, I had the same problem, pushed the wire through the square hole, but it never when down the hole. I then used the Keat63 technique, with a little brute force opened up the gap marked with the blue arrow and found the right direction first time.

Just don’t get your finger trapped…

All the NC 3.5 MX5s were built with the same basics. Eg. Wiring looms, cut outs for spot lights and other things like the drain holes. The cars with the power roof have the same drain holes in position as those on the soft tops. However, on the power roof option, the standard drain holes behind the seats are not used to drain water when the roof is up. The rain goes down a channel where the roof meets the body and down through the edge of the door.

It’s not a factory fit option. That would mean you went to buy a soft top and tick an option box to have a power roof fitted.You would just order a PRHT. My under standing is the rear wings and the boot are different than the soft top making drain access different but I could be wrong never looked.

Can I join in? Rear end is different, even boot lid size and material is different. Also the rear drains are used but to a less extent. The rubber seals around the roof sections are hollow in places and drain some water away including into the rear drains.
If you read this thread completely and view the photos supplied by RichardFX you will see the pipes that feed these drains on the PRHT.

Richard.

3 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t know about the tubes under the power roof. In my comment, I was only repeating what a technician at my local Mazda dealer told me when I asked about cleaning the drain holes on my NC 3.5 2.0LTR Sport-tech with the power roof. I learn more and more from this group every time I look. Cheers Fred S

1 Like

This made the world of difference.