Drop links and coilovers

Has anyone had a drop link break within a short time of having coilovers fitted and the car lowered?.

I am worried that one might have gone on the way home from work today.

Cheers

Ian

I replaced mine before I had coilovers fitted. NC are we talking? They do break easily, mine did, the original OEM ones so I changed the lot.

Yep an NC.

I’m just having one of those “why didn’t I anticipate this” moments!

I’ve only had the car 6 months and it is a non rusty low miler but I’ve had to replace front discs and calipers and now the clutch release bearing (so may as well do the clutch whilst the 'box is out) and have had one PRHT failure.

The wheels and coilovers are nice to haves but I am starting to wonder what I have got myself into!!

Could be previous poor maintenance, the calipers can give trouble, stick, regular servicing including the slide pins keep them operating well. Discs/pads well they are just like any other car, service items. Clutch, again previous usage dictates the wear factor. Droplinks I had one snap apart, fitted aftermarket ones all four and they’ve been fine over 20k miles with coilovers fitted.
The retractable roof, that’s bad luck if a motor goes or I believe a micro switch, I have the soft top so a bit sparse on info re those I’m afraid.

1 Like

Do you need shorter links with the lower suspension though or are standard ones fine as long as you have not gone “radical” with your lowering?

ian

Standard is fine, as Mick said, OEM ones are not the best (did he say that?) anyway, aftermarket ones are generally fine if not better! Well worth doing them all together IMO, not expensive ( I paid less than ÂŁ40 all round) can be a bit troublesome fitting though.

Barrie

Thanks Barrie - MX5 parts look to be out of stock / low on stock but I can get QH ones from Micks Garage at c ÂŁ20 a side as you say and they look beefier than the stock part.

Going to drop into the garage that’s doing my clutch and have a shufty under it first thing tomorrow when it’s up on the lift having the clutch done. If they have gone pop I can hopefully get the new parts at the weekend and get them on (if I can get the old ones off!!)

Cheers

ian

Am hoping for a pause in the tinkering to actually enjoy the car at some point!!!

1 Like

Can recommend the Blueprint brand drop links. Don’t waste time trying to get them off with a spanner. Hacksaw or angle grinder. Should be able to do all 4 in a couple of hours. While the wheels are off have a look at the caliper slide pins, pads and bleed the brakes. Job done.

1 Like

Autolink have them, less than ÂŁ10 each but seem not to show left fronts on their website.