Dual Function Front Fog Lamp/Heated Rear Window Switch

This post (and the picture below) may well make some people more excited then others…

It has been said that such a switch doesn’t exist, but thanks to @Cerberus who pointed me to a part number for said switch, I was able to contact Mazda UK’s parts supply centre (via the Mazda dealer network) and get the part number set up to allow the switch to be ordered though the normal UK parts ordering system. The part number is N021-V7-237 and the cost is around £30 plus VAT. For those of you who are perhaps not familiar with this switch, it’s for later model NA cars which use the push type heated rear window switch. This dual switch allows the use of the factory fitted front fog lamp wiring which shares the block connector for the heated rear window switch. As there is only 3 switch blanks to the right of the steering wheel, if you have electric adjustable mirrors, a heated rear window and an OE type rear fog lamp switch wired in then you have no space for an OE front fog lamp switch. This dual function switch puts that right. The reason I think that these are so hard to come by used is that the original purchaser of the car would have to have speced it with a detachable hardtop and front fog lamps, a seemingly rare combination.

WOW…

Lost for words, just like everyone else so it seems. …

That is a good find and a fair price too.

I see the usual heated rear window switch listed for over £40 new.

Never seen one of these before but found this…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX-5-heated-rear-window-switch-/141440041848?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ee7bc378

Lol, been looking for this switch literally for years and 2 appear on eBay in the space of a few months!

That switch in the eBay link… That’s the one now in my car :slight_smile:

Ah yes, it says best offer accepted.

How late does the Mk1 have to be for the factory fitted front fog lamp wiring to be installed and are we looking at UK or imported cars?
If a car has the factory fitted wiring, where would you find the connecters at the lamp end?
Would like to fit front lamps and it is easier to look under the bonnet than under the dashboard.

Easiest check is to look for a white two pin plug that’s spare on the driver’s side inner wing. It comes out the harness that runs down that side. You then need to look for a white fully populated 6 pin connector behind one of the 3 switch blanks to the right of the steering wheel. If you’re a Club member I think there is a photo of the connector in the How To Download section in the how to wire up a heated rear window guide. You’ll need to get hold of or make up a short harness from the connector to the lamps. This includes a relay if you can get hold of a Mazda one.

I think all Roadsters are wired for front fogs, and one as late as yours will take the dual function switch or the push on/push off single fog lamp switch. I don’t think any UK cars are wired for front fog lamps from build.

Thanks Robbie, I have now checked and I have the white 6 pin fully populated plug behind the dash and the white socket under the bonnet. I have just purchased a pair of lamps so will be off to the local Mazda dealer to get the ‘rare’ switch that you posted about. I have also contacted the usual sources to see if any one has a s/h loom, but out of interest I would like to know where it takes it + feed from in the engine bay as I assume that the switch just operates the relay. The rest of the wiring including the relay I think I can sort out.
Dave

I’m not sure what feeds from where, it’s all plug and play so I’ve not looked into it.

Ok, so got my lamps, found the white connectors and contacted the local Mazda dealer regarding the switch.
This is, according to the parts department, not in stock and no longer manufactured with a slight possibility of further supplies in five months.
If, and a big if, they decide to make any more.
So does any one know of one sitting on a dealers, or any other shelf somewhere?

That’s odd, I have ordered and have possession of 2 now. 2nd one turned up just last week. Neither were in stock in the UK and had to come from Japan so took a good few weeks.

Hi Robbie,
Second garage I emailed and was told it would take six weeks from Japan and non returnable, asked for confirmation of availability and am still waiting a response.
Will ring on Monday and try to order.

I’d just ask them to order it (it’ll go on back order), it may take some time to arrive but I’m pretty sure that it will.

…or you could sell the man one of yours Robble

He could always make me an offer of course, but I’d advise to just order the part via a Mazda dealer. Mazda are not as bad as they are made out to be on here you know…

Thanks Robbie, will order next Monday.

Ok so after being told that the switch is not available and no longer made by a dealer who obviously just couldn’t be bothered I finally found one who could.
Warrington Mazda could not have been more obliging, ordered the switch and three weeks later to the day phoned to say it had arrived.
If you are in the market for one contact,
Shanil,
Parts Dept.
tel: 01925-428755