E10 New Fuel Megathread [Consolidated for all E10 discussion]

Many thanks for clearing this up with a picture. It just shows how the ‘truth’ can be misinterpreted.
:heart:

my fuel flap sticker is different to that one!
next time i fill up i will try to remember to take a pic!

on a side.
shell v power at my local has gone up to 184 now!
so much for the 5p off!

Does it look like this as the previous shot was from a more recent car maybe an ND as it references E10 which was introduced into Europe around 2010 so earlier cars way not have any reference to either this or even e5.

Yes, my photo was from a ‘71 plate CX-30 as an example but the sticker text I thought was “standard”.

Ouch!

I paid 176 on the 30th when filling two cars for £141 in total.

thats the same sticker thats on mine!
tho its in better conditon.

it does show that i am wrong!
tho in my defence i will point out that i am dislexic and so the first time i went to fill up i opened the flap saw a green sticker (unleaded) and the word super!
and so i went with super unleaded!

and im going to stay with premium super unleaded as my baby only gets the best!

V-Power was £1.93 on Sunday!!!

1 Like

Still worth it though. Most MX5 drivers aren’t doing high mileage so the actual extra cost is minimal.

I agree with you Allan, but sometimes I think garages are taking the wotsit! The idea of £0.05p/litre being taken off last week was a joke and did not happen. I bit the bullet this time and put in the £1.63/litre E10, although by the time I have to put any more petrol in, another month will have passed, and in current times, a month is a long time in which a great deal can happen.

1 Like

Filled up at Esso today near Royston, Herts at £1.599 per litre for E10 but Shell locally was £1.639. Didn’t see an E5 price as I was on an E10 / Diesel pump.

Just put some super unleaded in my daily driver, E5 97 Ron (Sainsbury’s) @£1.639. They had all the diesel pumps locked, maybe run out??
Opposite the BP garage had E10 @£1.589 which seems cheap for them as they are usually way way more expensive than Sainsbury’s but now on a par with E10.
Derby btw.

1 Like

20% of UK diesel is sourced from Russia, so there is probably a reduction in supply occurring. UK is aiming to eliminate Russian diesel by the end of the year. Obviously not a trivial aim to achieve without some pain along the way.

Note, looks like a significant portion of European diesel stocks will be diverted to Ukraine in the coming months. There has been an appeal for stocks, to fuel tractors gathering the harvest and T-90s. Something like 25% of wheat is from Ukraine, and if anyone didn’t notice, virtually all our Sunflower oil is Ukrainian or Russian (hence design of the Ukrainian flag). Its not a request we can therefore ignore, and its not going to improve supply at the pump.

“Premium” and “Super” are two different grades.

Premium is just ordinary 95 RON. Super is 97 or more. We don’t see lower grades than 95 in the UK but I’ve noticed it elsewhere. In Denmark I saw they sold 93 RON Standard, 95 RON Premium and 97 RON Super.

1 Like

A lot of garages around here (Wilts/Berks) have been out of E5 over the weekend. No idea why, but the demand for super unleaded must have jumped when E10 came in, because of cars that can’t use E10.

But the majority of cars on the road (95% according to HMG) can use E10. Short term shortages of certain products might occur for a variety of reasons, but its not because of large numbers of drivers draining E5 tanks unecessarily.

1 Like

I was at a Tescos in Watford on Friday that had no fuel for sale and yesterday only had E5 and diesel !

Press reports are that some drivers (not just me) experience significantly lower power and/or economy on E10 so have switched to the super unleaded E5. It depends on the vehicle - some don’t behave any differently but others show a sigificant increase in consumption. I would guess that it depends on the intelligence of the fuel/air mapping - E10 has more oxygen in the fuel and it might confuse the ECU, especially under “open loop” conditions.

After a period I suppose of somekind of adjustment, fuel consumption in my 2004 Jaguar XJ8 has returned to what it was before; on a good motorway run, it averages 33-34mpg (honestly, better than my 1996 4 cyclinder 1.8 Eunos Roadster), and 26-27 if I am pushing it a bit across country (the big cat is surprisingly lithe).

In most petrol stations I have observed the number of E5 pumps equals E10.

E5 and E10, irrespective of brand, use the same base petrol coming from the nearest refinery. We know that the brands then achieve differentiation by the additives that are then added. This is old news (eg. differences between supermarket and branded petrol). I’ve not yet worked out if the producers also used pooled ethanol. The 4 major suppliers of bioethanol in the UK are Ineos Bio, Crop Energies, Vivergo and British Sugar.

I don’t know if there are any differences in the “lubricant” additives added to E5 compared to E10.

I suspect the major reason why this weekend some areas might have observed a shortage of E5 was not due to high demand for E5, but because of a continuing shortage of qualified tanker drivers making petrol stations focus more on ensuring supply of fuel used by 95% of petrol car drivers, rather than the minority 5%, over a holiday weekend that was expected to see an uptick in demand. Sure, some of that 95% will be doggedly using E5, but its going to be a tiny minority. Most drivers are not enthusiast drivers.

According to “Fair Fuel UK”, a lobbying group, switching to E10 will cost, on average, an additional £18 per year. The net result of using bioethanol is a change in the oil-derived CO2 produced by the UK, and a reduction in dependance upon supply of oil from despotic regimes.

Besides the structural issues that caused the fuel shortages seen in 2021, there are also some blockades of some refineries which has lead to national shortages of diesel (not forgotting 20% of diesel sold in the UK was imported from Russia). I’m sure that has also caused some challenges in manning for the tanker operators. Shortages might have been addressed in someway, but I suspect there isn’t much slack in the system. On top of that, prevalence of Sars-Cov-2 infection is very high at the moment, which while not necessarily leading to increased illnes (in part due to the vaccine booster), there might have been increased staff absence, which has been publicly reported in other industries (eg. cancellation of holiday flights due to lack of aircrew).

2 Likes

As you should know all be aware of E5 and E10 are the maximum % of ethanol to be added. The refinery I work at does not add any ethanol to Super so the difference between the 2 at the pump could be rather significant in performance. I’ve still got some investigating to do on the average we add to regular.

2 Likes

I believe Esso do not add the maximum percent to their fuel that is allowed, confirmed, I believe, on their website in the past.

1 Like