E10 New Fuel Megathread [Consolidated for all E10 discussion]

Is it though? What’s the evidence?

I mean, sure, if you mean you prefer to have the peace of mind of avoiding the new stuff even in cars Mazda say are compatible, fair enough. If you mean you can feel the difference in power, maybe we should wait till it’s available before giving that verdict. If you think it’ll give sufficient difference in mpg to pay for the difference then again maybe we should see if that’s true.

Ethanol is corrosive. They even leave it out of the tankers until the last moment. Think what it does to your car’s lovely internals.

Ethanol is 7.33 on the ph scale so it’s not corrosive.

Unknown

How about just adding this every top up ?

Ive used the diesel version in my Merc c320cdi for a while now.
Better throttle response , less smoke (no dpf on my car), 2mpg more.
For the diesel you add 1ml per litre of diesel so this £20 ( 1liter diesel version bottle) goes a long way.
Im guessing it will be way cheaper than adding super unleaded at the pump.

Hi All

I apologise if this is in the wrong section - please advise if it is. I heard a radio ad about E10 fuel this morning which I wasn’t aware of.
Thing is, we have a Mk1 1.8iS (1994) that we’ve owned since about 2001. We moved to France with her and registered her over there in about 2007. Our local fuel stop was a supermarket (E. Leclerc) which, I now understand, was probably selling E10 since 2009. If that’s the case, I will have ignorantly been pouring the stuff into the car since then until about 2014 when she was driven back to the UK and where she’s been in dry-storage ever since. In that time, other than a vague notion that she didn’t seem to be as economical as she used to be, I noticed nothing untoward with the car and she never missed a beat.
We now want to get her re-registered and back on the road in the UK but that will probably be just in time for this E10 roll out. Having looked into the matter this morning, I’m wondering what I need to do, if anything, to ensure that she remains healthy. Given that she showed no huge negative response to the likely use of E10 in the past, should I do anything to accommodate the stuff now? I think I’d prefer to use “proper” fuel that she was designed to drink but will this require additives or any other changes? As she’s going to be brought out of storage soon, I’d like to understand a little more about this so would appreciate any wisdom.

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1994 1.8iS - 60,000miles
  2. I’m based near: Exeter, Devon
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: E10 Fuel
1 Like

Just start using ‘5 star’ fuel, most petrol stations have a version of Shell V Power. Apparently this grade will remain E5.
:heart:

4 Likes

Cool - thank you! I like a simple solution.

Or just buy ESSO Synergy Supreme 99. Which has NO ethanol.

(unless you live in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland)

Which he and I both do - ie Devon…

Never mind.

1 Like

FYI

Gov.Uk now have an E10 compatibility site and the Mazda entry reads:

Mazda
E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines introduced in and from the year 2002, Mazda6 (GG/GY) and models with petrol engines introduced thereafter.

One question, is the E10 fuel GOOD for the car of year post 2002?
Meaning, yes it can technically run on it, but long term, is it perfectly fine or could it cause issues?
i.e is the latest banning, that of E5 (in regular unleaded), something to be celebrated, embraced, greeted with positive joy and springs in anticipation of wonderful E10 fuel, or is it (E10) something to be apprehensive about?

1 Like

If in doubt use the super-unleaded or a combination of both.

2 Likes

But is there any doubt it could not be good long term?

(Bad grammar that, even for me lol)

1 Like

Other than supposedly saving the planet I don’t believe there is any benefit to adding ethanol to petrol. The energy per litre for ethanol is lower than petrol i.e. your MPG will drop, even before it starts absorbing water.

2 Likes

If you look back to previous threads on this subject you will see that E5 is corrosive, let alone E10. In my Mk3 I always use Shell super as I don’t do that many miles. In my day to day car I fill up with super unleaded every fourth tank. I’m also looking around for additives, but the introduction of E10 is just political and, because cars won’t last as long, it’s not as green as they would have you believe.

1 Like

see attached

I’ve used ESSO Synergy Supreme + for over 2 years now, every fill up. It was RON 97, but they changed it to RON 99 about last October. It’s got no ethanol in it (in much of the UK, anyway) and i even wrote to their customer services to verify a while back as i got freaked out because of those new ‘E’ tickers which popped up on the pumps.
Everything is so negative with this green trash. Everything seems to be about banning things.

Mind you, given that (I think) adding the sugar fuel is cheaper than the oil it replaces, maybe a massive fuel duty cut is on the cards?

2 Likes