E10 Petrol

Will my 1991 MX5 Eunos work on E10 petrol???

Yes, until the Ethanol does unmentionable damage to various bits of the engine.
There’s an update from Roadster Robbie in the February STHT.
Options are switch to Super Unleaded (E5) or use additives…

I don’t do a terrific amount of miles per year and will continue to fill up with super unleaded, Shell Vmax, recommended by an mot tester a good while back who also advised to avoid supermarket fuel.

Okay here we go.
May I ask why he said that?
It’s type approved and refined in the same places as the known brands.
I’ve used it probably for around the last 40 years or so and still do.

1 Like

Some of the super markets fuel is ■■■■ just like retail paint is. Trade is far better.

1 Like

Please quantify?
As an example Sainsburys have a deal with BP so is BP rubbish?

1 Like

Branded petrol has more additives in like friction modifiers and detergents but as you say they come from the same place originally (The refinery) its just the supermarkets fuels will be the bare minimum where as the branded fuel goes that extra mile
So there is a difference but its up to the individual to decide if its worth it to them .

I don’t disagree, but to be honest none of US mortal peasants know exactly what is in which brand.
I can say I have never known anyone to have an engine problem because they used supermarket fuel. Yes because of wrong fuel delivered to the wrong tank and water.
Anyway I am off for a coffee :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Wouldn’t worry about it

3 years ago

13 years ago

15 years ago

11 months ago

10 years ago:

Bit of a pattern there.

I haven’t yet found an report of a Mita catching fire because of a ethanol-rotted out fuel tank or fuel lines.

I can tell you know that nearly all petrol is the same no matter where you get it from. All companies pick it up from the Terminals and it comes from the same bulk storage tanks direct to your petrol pumps. The only difference is the grade of petrol.

That’s true about the source, but the difference is that the big companies, Shell, BP, Esso etc. put additives in the tankers that transport the fuel to its destination whilst the small independents just transport and deliver the raw basic fuel. So “yes” it is the same when collected but not necessarily the same at the pump.

There is no blending of fuel in tankers, this is done at the terminal where tests are conducted to ensure it is “on spec”. What they do is “mark” the fuel so that any traces and subsequent tests on the fuel can be traced back to source. What I am not 100% sure of is that the majors will have fuel in their own “non co-mingled” tanks. There is likely to be some additives at that point perhaps.

1 Like