EGR replacement

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk 3 1.8
  2. I’m based near: Carlisle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: EGR valve replacement tool

Looks like I need to replace the EGR valave on my 2007 Mk 3. The Haynes manual says I need a special Mazda tool to remove the bolts where it fits to the back of the cylinder head. The Mazda tool number is SST 49 N013 001. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent readily available tool to do the job as the Mazda one is bound to be expensive.

The special tool looks to be around £50.
Always worth a go without using one.
All depends on your selection of tools that you can use or adapt or even make one yourself.
(See Bootle’s good thread).

Have a read of the attached thread (if you haven’t seen it before) which should assist.

More often than not, depending on what’s wrong with the valve you can get away with just replacing the top electrical part of the valve which is held on with 4 cross head screws. Access to those is easier than accessing the bolts. Get a good fitting screw driver and lean on it while unscrewing the screws to prevent it riding out.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Where do you get the top electrical part from? I see that there are a few full, second hand valves on ebay but that would be taking a chance that the electrical part would last I recon.

You have to buy a complete valve and just swap the top part across.

Thanks for the replies. Mondeo valve ordered.

Just to add to some of the previous comments the EGR valve on my 2010 Miyako (only 17k miles form new) was throwing the fault code and despite resetting it several times as soon as the engine reached full working temperature it came back on. I stripped it down and swapped the electrical stepper unit over from a new EGR valve to save the aggravation of trying to remove the body of the main unit from the engine. Took me about an hour altogether and nothing difficult to do just a bit fiddly and cramped at times but saved a load of cash over taking it to a dealer to be repaired. Total cost circa £80 for the brand new Ford EGR valve(but only used the steeper unit off the top of it). Definitely worth doing yourself.