Emissions: ULEZ - has anyone modified a Mk1 to meet ULEZ?

I thought anything over 40 years old was exempt.

There has been a petition to get this lowered to 30 years

Guess it depends if you daily drive your NA or NB?

Beyond that is it worth paying hundreds to convert it, just pay the £12.50 every summer day you use it.

Yes it’s annoying, but we have to start to improve air quality, it does cause health problems.

Saaaaad story’s here (too). They’re realy making it impossible for us to drive our (older) Fives anymore
In Belgium we have similar retarded rules and …as we have three governements we also have three approaches for the LEZ (low emission zones) meaning different rules for different regions…Our oldtimerfederation is negociating with those governements to give older cars (+30jrs) an independent status in the kind of “riding cultural heritage”…but for motorcycles it’s not too bad ; no restrictions whatsoever until 2023 from then on we will have technical control (MOT for you guys…) for motorcycles too and that will be the beginning of the end for older motorcycles …

Morning all
Just wondering if there are any news on this ULEZ planned introduction in August.
Trying to make sence of why my MK2 1800cc will not comply, wheras older MGB cars comply!!!
Would appreciate any news
Regards
John

Cars over 40 years old (and not substantially modified) can apply for MOT exemption. If you’ve registered a car for this Historic (classic) status, it will also be entitled to be exempt from the ULEZ charge. That’s a rolling 40 year exemption, so the earliest MX-5s won’t qualify until 2029.

It’s annoying, but having set the cutoff at 40 years, the government aren’t minded to shift it. They want to distinguish historic cars from merely old cars.

Here’s an interesting thing, because of this thread I looked up the Glasgow LEZ scheme.

This is because when I heard about Glasgow introducing LEZ on another forum, it originally said there would be no exemptions, not even historic vehicles.

Now it says there will be exemptions for historic vehicles, but what’s even more interesting is the description of an historic vehicle (https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/23026):

Historic Vehicles:

Vehicles of ‘historical interest’ means a vehicle which is considered to be of historical interest to the UK, and which -

was manufactured, or registered, for the first time at least 30 years previously,
is of a type no longer in production, and
has been historically preserved or maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components.
1 Like

Scottish devolution powers or Glasgow City council sound like it’s inline with the rest of europe at 30 years. English government changed it to 40 years some time back.

I know this thread is old, but still very relevant. I recently saw a mk1 Monaco for sell at MX5 Restorer with the possibility of installing a ULEZ compliant mk2 1.8 vvt engine. I spoke to Garath who advised me that to follow the correct registration protocol for the car through the government agencies would require very deep pockets…that’s even if it could be done.

I vaguely remember that my NA had quite acceptable, but nowhere near zero, levels of CO and HC. The engine was in extremely good condition, doing nearly 40mpg and not burning any oil. My NC puts out virtually nothing (0.03% CO and 3ppm HC).

I would expect NOx to be fairly badly controlled in the NA too. Remember this was one of the last non-interference engines, so the combustion chamber was nothing like a modern car’s .

Not to forget that Roadsters are also tested under much more lenient parameters.
The filthy little devils. :blush:
Do I care? Just put mine through it’s final MOT in my ownership…storming pass no advisories including NOX and my guys…believe me…are very strict but they know their Roadsters.

Where do you get a printout for NOx?

1 Like

On the MOT Cert.
Mind you, this year there’s a few “Not Testeds” It may be these don’t get counted in an Import…I do not know enough. I’ve never bothered for 16 previous MOTs. Always left it to my experts.
Car’s sold anyhow…to a mate…so I just wanted him to have a year’s safe and genuine ticket o kick him off.

I’ve only ever seen HC and CO on an MoT emissions test. NOx isn’t part of the test for a petrol car. The garage may have the equipment to test for NOx, as it’s used for some diesels.

Holy cow! I just looked at that Glasgow LEZ scheme posted above by Skadgeer.

There’s no £12.50 per day fee like I have to pay to take my Mk.1 to work in London. It’s just a straight £60 penalty for daring to drive into town. Sixty bleedin’ quid! Comes into force on 1st June. I have family in Glasgow and there’s every chance I might drive up in my Mk.1 to see them. If I hadn’t read that link I’d have had no idea the middle of the city was booby trapped!

How many other schemes like this are there out there that I know nothing about?

Partly answering my own question: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow all ban non compliant cars from new LEZs, but other than Glasgow they don’t come into force until next year.

Get this though: The £60 quid fine is halved if you pay promptly, but it doubles for every subsequent infringement. How many days might some poor innocent be driving around before they discovered they were getting a fine that doubled every day?

One thing that might bring my blood pressure back down is that there’s an exemption for historic vehicles and it kicks in at 30 years old (which my Mk.1 will be later this year). May well have to check the fine print though.

It’s me, not you.
I’m using a lazy catch all phrase for the zorst tests.
Misleading…apologises bud,

Quite a lot in England, you can check your reg for compliance here and it will give a list of those currently active :- https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details

2 Likes

If I were to bring my EU registered 2022 ND RF (Euro 6) car to the UK for a month, can I get a single exemption that would avoid me being fined in any of those cities listed, or would I have to apply for each one separately? (There seems to be no information about this on the site linked to above.)

David

So far as I know there are no exemption stickers like Crit 3 in France or Euro 4 in Germany for the UK. Fines are issued on the information collected by camera’s and fines sent to the owners from the DVLA records.

On this link :- https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details

you can put in your registration and select a non UK option which should show your car is UK ULEZ compliant.

If it is an ND you should have no ULEZ worries any way.

However the joker is the London Congestion charge which you have to pay regardless of age of vehicle and tolls like the M25 Thames crossing, and M6 toll, both of which can be avoided by taking alternative routes.

If you need further help please ask.

Ha Ha! A fat lot of use doing that was! But thanks for trying to help, Art.

The response is:

The feedback page repeatedly asked quite stupid questions! (I expect it was written by an artifical stupidity program.)

I will ask our equivalent of the AA when I am next passing.

I hate that scary M25 bridge!

David

You are not alone but if the M25 has a 3 hour delays going clock wise it can be a life saver :wink: