Engine covers

I’m soon  hope to be a Mazda MX5 owner,I have looked at many Mx5 for sale,I always check the MOT history I have come across two with Advisories staying Engine plates fitted obscuring some components.these are mk11 models.I’m suspicious,need I be ?

No. Just MOT testers covering their back. Inspect the car yourself, you’re buying it not the MOT tester.

No, what it means is plastic covers over the engine or the under trays under the engine and as the inspector is not allowed to remove them he covers himself by issuing an advisory.

It’s a shame really as you get a blot on your mot history for no good or valid reason.

You are advised to check what those under trays are hiding, especially on the Mk2’s. Those being crumbling chassis rails (front) the driver’s side can be checked from above if your handy with a mobile phones camera, the passenger side is impossible without the removal of the airbox gubbins. So as said they cover themselves by saying we can’t check if it’s not visible. Buyer beware also, no one can honestly say they can turn up to view a car then proceed to strip stuff off it to check every nook and cranny for corrosion, a dealer may offer to but don’t hold your breath on a 20+ year old car.