Engine Light

Hi everybody,

Owning the car for 9 months I didn’t see any engine light on the dash. However, a few days ago I found it on the RHS below the speedometer. It doesn’t light up when I start the engine and I don’t really know if this how it should work or not. Everything else works as normal apart from this one. My car is an imported 2003 Mk2.5 SVT model with the 6 o’clock dials.

Thank you in advance,

Bill

I believe that the light should come on when you switch on the ignition, before starting the engine.  If all’s well it should then go out as soon as the engine starts.

If there’s no light when you turn on the ignition, then it’s possible that either the bulb needs replacing or a previous owner’s removed the bulb to disguise an illuminated light showing an engine management system fault - this sort of practice isn’t unknown, unfortunately!

Buy an inexpensive code reader off ebay etc, say up to £15 at the most.

You will find an ODB2 socket under the internal fuse box at the drivers right knee.

Connect the code reader to the socket. Then turn the ignition on, do not start the car. It will search for any stored fault codes and advise you if any codes are stored.

No stored codes, switch off the ignition and remove the code reader.

If there are stored codes, take a note of the fault codes and the code reader will allow you to erase the codes. Turn off the ignition and remove the code reader. Check again after a while to check if the fault codes return

Agree with Andy - when the ignition is turned on all tell-tale lights should come on momentarily and then go out.

The instrument cluster on a MK2.5 is bulb illuminated so there is a chance that the bulb has simply blown. Easy enough to test by replacement.

The MOT inspector should check that all tell-tale lights illuminate when ignition turned on and then go out as described. The car will likely fail the MOT if the failed illumination of this bulb is noticed.

The MK2.5 EML is above the odometer on the right next to the high beam light. 

It may have been removed if there is a fault. so before taking the dash apart worth using an OBDII reader to interrogate the socket under the dash in front of the drivers right knee for error codes. 

Thank you guys for your immediate and and derailed replys. I don’t think that the last owner would remove it for any reason. The car has passed the MOT without any problems or advisories even and I am pretty sure that I have never seen a light like that. I do have an appointment with my mechanic this Saturday -hopefully -so we will check it together. I believe is something that it always have to work properly.

I will let you know what is going on!

Bill

Hi guys!

After so long time, yesterday I attempted to check the issue with the engine light that does not light up.
What I found was that the bulb is not blown, I swapped the buld from the ABS light with the engine light and there wasn’t any light.

I think my next move is to buy an OBD2 tool to check for faults.

Thank you

Bill