Engine noise after clutch slave cylinder change

Hi all

changed slave cylinder yesterday, then fired the car up when finished to here a rather loud, short squawk from somewhere in the engine bay (type of noise a belt would make). Is this related to the slave change, or just coincidence?! And what could it be!

Also, when pushing the clutch down now and then releasing, the engine gets louder and slightly rattlier when

cheers

kev

Is there any chance you knocked the clutch release bearing off the carrier.If so its gearbox out job. Sorry to say but I don,t see anything else that may have happened ??

would it still go into gear smoothly though if that was the case? Gear change is fine now…

Ah no it would not so you should be ok there.The slave cylinder is bolted to gearbox bell housing so nothing really there that could cause noise.Is it loose exhaust heat shield maybe ???Or exhaust baffle loose ??

it is that sort of rattly noise… but id have thought it would have been present whether the clutch was up or down if it was something loose…

Pattern slave cylinders can sometimes “chatter” against the clutch release fork. A dab of grease helps. Genuine slave cylinders have a “nipple” on the end of the I guess what you might call the piston rod, to ensure it locates in the clutch fork correctly. Additionally, pattern cylinder castings are incorrectly machined flat on one side, so that the piston, when the rod is located, is at a slight angle.

ah you assume im too tight to buy an original part!.. You are of course correct.

Good call, i thought id greased the end, but maybe not. Will check that out.

cheers