Engine won't rev over 4k

Hey all
First what happened i was driving to a friends house when pulling away for a set off lights my crank pulley came off the 4 bolts holding in to the crank timing gear 2 of which where missing and 2 of the heads had sheared off the main crank bolt was still in place and then engine died (it’s the vvt so it lost the crank signal) . So after a different pulley off my spare engine the wont rev over 3.5k I had the idea that maybe on it’s way off it bang into the crank sensor so i changed that as well i dont noticed any play or damage to the woodruff key or crank noise
It now revs well to 4k now but bounces between 3.75 and 4 and pops and bangs out the exhaust
Now its a vvt swap mk1 running a me221 ecu for a the mk1 so I’m hopping it’s something in the wiring

I cant remember if the revved over 4k before as it’s not been mapped yet and trying to stay out of boost due to not having the car running long enough to get mapped

My question is this how would i go about diagnosing the problem I’ve been read horror story’s on line about crank wobble which with the bolts missing/damage bolts would make sense
ps
Sorry if the spelling or grammar is off working the grave yard shift

Bump, hey I’ve been running into the exact same issue on my car (vvt swapped 1.6 na) I’ve found in my logs I get a lost sync count whenever I hit that part of the rev range and have attempted changing my sensor and trigger wheel which didn’t help in my case but could help you. I’m using the 36-2 bofi one. I’m planning on running shielded wiring for the crank sensor next and seeing if that helps my issues. Please let me know if you’ve managed to figure it out. Otherwise best of luck! :crossed_fingers:

hi dead spoon wow this was a long time ago yerh i remember what is was in the end that sorted it out
after the pully came off and many weeks tryin to fig out what was wrong turned out to be nothing more than the timing belt had jumped a tooth on the cams . try retiming your engine let us know how you get on

1 Like

Mr Pete_C1 truly thank you for your response, even though this is a 3 year old post. You were spot on, my intake cam was one tooth off not entirely sure how, but I re timed the engine and it has completely solved my issue. I’ve been chasing this for months, and your advice has been the cure. Once again you’re a legend and thank you for your response. Best of luck!

2 Likes

DAMMM I’M GOOD lol, Glad I could help, and thanks for letting me know that it work

3 Likes