Er, dare I ask another question about tyres

I agree about tyres degrading before wearing out, especially with the mileage I do nowadays.
Which brought me to checking exactly when my Kumho were fitted and how many miles. Well surprised to find, fitted 2014 and covered nearly 23k miles. I examined them pre MOT last month and they are absolutely fine, plenty of tread. Which reminds me I must rotate them, well front to back as I’ve not done it this year as very little use since 2019. But I suppose I’ll be watching on the condition rather than wear factor come next year.

Hi,
Since lowering and getting geometry done I’ve been running uniroyal rainsport 3 on the front and Avon zv7 on the rear of my nc1. Handles beautifully with great all weather predictability. Pressures and geo are probably more important than tyre brand, having said that the toyo proxes it came with were rubbish in the cold/ rain. Like you, not for track days but rather what they used to call a “press on style of motoring” :grin:

Interesting that you mention the Toyo Proxes - I had a set on one of our previous NA’s and absolutely loved them, Never went out in the car in the cold and the wet though…

I can vouch for the Maxx Sport 2s on an MX5 - in my case an NC Sport. They have excellent grip and steering feel and are quiet. I’ve had them on for about two years / 5,000 miles and they’ve hardly worn.

Have a read at www.tyrereviews.co.uk

There tests suggest the best 205/45/17 88W UHP (Ultra High Performance but not track day tyres) tyres are Continental PremiumContact 6, Michelin PS4, and the new Goodyear Asymmetric 5. For sporty driving, the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 they suggest is the best.

I have just fitted 2x new Asymmetric 5 to the front at Kwik Fit as they have a 10% offer on and of these three, the Goodyear is slightly cheaper. They also have show better mileage wear than the Michelin, which is interesting as that is vey much the Michelin USP.

The reviews of these tyres are significantly better than the Kumho’s and other manufacturers.

I am mixing mine wth a set of Prestivo’s on the rear which still have good tread from when I bought the car. When they wear down, I’ll be putting Asymetric 5 on the rear as well.

I’ve just scrubbed the Goodyear Asymmetric 5’s in on the front now and they are superb with great steering feel and superb stability at speed.

I have 4 Bridgestones with 6mm RTD in the for sale section. 205/45R17 made in 2016. £20 each, pick up from Gloucestershire.
Rgds., Steve

thanks Millie, but I’ve pretty much decided to get a set of Kumhos

1 Like

I got a great price from Black Circles on Black Friday last year. They were the cheapest without the discount anyway.

I have a 2011 2.0L NC RC, I fitted Yoko Blue Earth AE50 all round last Summer at a cost of £322 from Black Circles.
On leaving the fitting centre I immediately noticed an improvement in the ride comfort. I only do about 3500 miles p.a. in the MX-5 as I have a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI SEL for everyday transport and my wife has a Mazda 2 TS2 and I am not a “boy racer” being 74 years of age. However, I do very much enjoy driving reasonably spiritedly on country roads and find the handling to be excellent and great fun.

1 Like

I have put Michlin crossclimates on my 1.6 NB and they seem good. They are quite confidence inspiring in the cold so you want to take the car out and cover it in salt!
As others have said any fresh set of matched tyres will be better than a random mix.
A bit like the view on engine oil: some oil is better than none and fresh oil is better than old oil.

1 Like

Just to close this out I had four Kumho Ecsta fitted yesterday for the princely sum of £284 from Blackcircles. First impressions are very favourable, although haven’t driven them in the wet yet…

1 Like

I’m still scrubbing in a set of Nankang NS2R’s that I’ve had on almost a month. They really should come off now as the weather’s not terribly fantastic and pop the Michelin PS4’s on.
Either that or Eagle F1 Assy’s. Don’t ask but I’m in a bizarre position of having 3 sets of wheels and 4 sets of tyres if I count in 4 Toyo Proxes…
I’ll change over next weekend