Eunos/NA Headlights coming on randomly & draining the battery - might have an answer!

Two years ago, I bought an H reg (1991) Eunos knowing that it had an intermittent electrical fault - the battery went flat randomly, but often on hot summer days. I have tried many things but never got to the bottom of the fault.
Yesterday (9th April) - first hot day of 2020 - the battery was again flat. Sigh. Overnight I charged the battery again this time leaving the headlights popped up.

Today - another hot day - I had a breakthrough. The headlights came on this afternoon by themselves draining the battery. Removing the headlight relay did NOT turn them off!. Investigation further, I learnt that the headlight flasher stick/control bypasses the relay when used. So - very excited now - it MUST be that switch that is coming on randomly. Right?

Has an anyone ever experienced any issues like this with the headlight/flasher switch (right side of steering wheel, of course)???
Thanks

Not on a MX5, but on two Vauxhalls with Flash/Dip/Main switch, metallic dust from the contacts coating the insulation between the contacts causing intermittent random contact.
Not repairable, just put in a new switch - an old s/h one might well have the same problem.

Interesting. I might try to take apart and clean first. New switch assemblies are hard to come by!

1 Like

Hi, It could be that the 1991 car has had the ā€™ flash to passā€™ modification fitted and on hot days the diode is breaking down. (Iā€™m no electrical expert so a diode with an intermittent fault may be a none starter). If your car does have the ā€˜flash to passā€™ mod, you can find the details by a search on the Forum

Hi NM1
Thatā€™s a great thought. I was reading about this mod last night as I have everything apart in the car now. And no - Itā€™s not already done. But it might be soon!
Thanks anyway

Quick updateā€¦
It was the headlight flasher stick/control that was the problem. Replaced this with a good secondhand unit. Initially, I still had a flat battery quite often and eventually decided that the battery itself was now duff. This too turned out to be the case as after putting a new (old) one in, itā€™s been 100% reliable.
Phew!

4 Likes

Hi. Sorry that I missed you update - nearly three years ago!
I had the same issue with the battery. I bought a brand new one (expensive) and the repeated full discharges killed it completely. I too had to revert back. In fact, I replaced the slim battery tray in my boot for a ā€œstandardā€ size one and fitted a regular battery. No issues since.
Hope your beautiful machine is still running three years on!
Clive