Exhausts, Catalytic Converters and Emissions

Sounds about right if they plan to be green, and yet need to balance the books…

1 Like

The Government is bringing forward the ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel-fuelled cars to 2030 – five years earlier than previously planned.

With the exception of Hybrids which will be extended until 2035.

If it’s an MX-5 then yes it needs a cat and it needs to pass a cat test. If it’s a Eunos Roadster then it doesn’t. All models came with a cat since production began in '89 though the MOT only requires an inspection to see if it’s fitted on cars which get a full cat test.

True. Just stopping the sale of petrol-only cars. Hybrids will continue.

1 Like

They do need to understand reality, the ordinary punter will not vote for somebody that has forced them to scrap a vehicle by making fossil fuels unaffordable and then be unable to replace with a relatively expensive EV. The increasing sale and use of EVs will be the place to find a new cash cow. There are many cars on the road that are 15-20 years old usually run by people that cannot afford anything else.

Sceptic mode on

Politician?
Understand?
Reality?

Past performance would indicate those three words will never occur in the same sentence.
Short-term interests and palm-oil are all they seem to be driven by.

Sceptic mode off.

1 Like

Your more sceptical than I am! I didn’t think anybody could be!

1 Like

Hmm, I forget who it was that defined a Realist as a Sceptic, but it was in the context of when it comes to politics and the art of spin, all rational rules go out the window.

The government don’t care if you can afford a car. They want you on a bus or train anyway. And supply and demand is no problem at the moment there’s lots of supply, fuel is around 90% tax as it is. They will turn other screws to get cash when the fuel stops flowing.

2 Likes

Hi Martin, first I was told it must have a full cat test after 1992!!!now someone says it only needs a cat inspection, what a can o worms… my test station is only 100 yards away, but, tomorrow I will make enquiries, and see what information he as… Thanks all.

Hi Tony. The situation is that vast majority of cars registered first used after Aug '92 (i.e. start of K-reg) need a full cat test, but there is an exemption for some cars first used during the following 3 year “transition period” if they’re models not listed in the emissions book. Those continue to get a non-cat test.

As it happens, the Eunos Roadster is one of those unlisted models. So K, L and M-reg Eunos Roadsters should properly get a non-cat test.

It’s all explained in the In Service Exhaust Emissions book which you can download here: Vehicle exhaust emission standards - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Most of the book is its Annex, listing every model of car and its allowed emissions, and each model is identified by its “VDS code”. A VDS code, it explains, is found in the 4th to 9th digits of the car’s VIN. e.g. If you read the VIN of any MX-5 you’ll find a VDS code that matches one of the listed Mazda MX-5 models in the Annex. But if you look at the VIN stamped on the bulkhead of your own Roadster you’ll find that the format of its VIN is not the same as an MX-5 so trying to read a VDS code from it just produces gibberish. It doesn’t match any listed model of car.

The emissions book says if your car was first used between Aug '92 and July '95 and there is no exact match in the Annex, it should get a non-cat test.

That’s the rule, but it’s rare enough that a lot of MOT testers aren’t familiar and assume you’re pulling their leg, especially if the car has previously been tested as an MX-5 as their computer will populate the screen with that incorrect info. But it’s completely legitimate and if you can persuade the tester to check with the DVSA they’ll confirm it.

PS Inspecting the car to see if the cat is fitted is part of the full cat test so a car that doesn’t qualify for a full cat test can’t fail for not having a cat because it doesn’t get inspected for that.

From DVSA.

The 19 Edition Emissions book is still the latest version, although it is due for an update.

The MOT emissions test cannot possibly replicate the type approval emissions test which is far more complex and involves laboratory testing as well as a chassis dynamometer test. Type approval also tests for more pollutants than MOT test, such as oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter.

The MOT test for emissions is therefore a simplified test of only certain emissions that can be readily conducted in a workshop. The emissions values used are the same across the European Union to comply with the European Roadworthiness Directive.

For the purpose of establishing official fuel consumption figures, there used to be a 40 second engine warm up period before emissions sampling began. This warm up period was eliminated from the year 2000. There is also a 40 second timing requirements for the exhaust catalyst to reach a certain temperature.

Hi folks, thanks for the information and I have today been across to the testing station and booked the car in for a Saturday mot and asked the tester if he was doing a full cat test Or, a 2gas test as this is what it should have, he said a 2 gas test and cat inspection which should be fine. Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.just to add, my car is model… E-NA8C.