Extremely early mk1

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the Info, will be there on Sunday in the competition area as always :slight_smile:

Hi there, I am new to the forum and have just got hold of an early g reg eunos. I have looked up it’s vin number and it has a build date of 20th June 1989. It’s vin is na6ce-100026.

It’s in OK condition,  was initially just looking to get a weekend fun car but  since I found it is such an early example I feel obliged to do my best to keep it on the road for as long as possible. It came with the original hard top too. I just happened to have watched the video of the mx5 restorer and realised it was an early example before I saw the vin number.

I have given it some eunos badged daisy wheels and some new rubber, a bit of a service, oil change, new spark plugs, ht leads, gear gaiter etc. It has really made a difference as the past owner appears to have done little in the way of maintenance. 

I will post some photo’s when the weather improves and I take it for a spin next. 

1 Like

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Sounds like you have a very interesting car, look forward to seeing the photographs

If what I was given when I bought my car last November is correct, you have the 5th mass produced Eunos from the Hiroshima factory. Mine is 9323 later than yours and dated December 1989. I should think that makes yours a very special car and well worth restoring to full glory!

Because of the similarities between our cars, I shall follow any further updates with interest.

Paul

The weather improved so I took the car and camera out for a spin yesterday evening. Took it up to Yorkshire and back at the weekend too, bit of rain and some snow near Ladybower, nice and warm though with the top down all the way. As long as we were over about 30mph couldnt feel the rain at all, had a few funny looks from people though.

It’s definitely not a show car standard, it’s been resprayed at some point and the drivers side front wing is a metallic red/orange, which shows up in pictures more than in person. It has been undersealed though and seems relatively solid(probably solid rust).

I would be interested to know how many other early ones are still running. You say you believe that it is the 5th mass produced Eunos PaulW56, would the ones previous to this have been test cars?

I don’t know the specs of your cars but this one has power steering, ac, electric windows a mazdaspeed steering wheel, red roadster floor mats and cloth seats with leather back.

I was investigating the cigarette lighter due to it not working and whilst fitting a new fuse(solved) in the footwell I noticed that the accelerator pedal mount was cracked. I had noticed there was some play in it when I first looked at it and assumed it might just be a slack cable but found the cable was wound right out…figures. So had a fun time upside down replacing that part.  Much improved now though.

1 Like

I am currently restoring very early mx5 with the smooth diff casing. G reg I think but ex UK import Eunos in Mariner blue. Must check the chassis number

Your red Eunos nearly has the same reg plate as mine, spooky.

Chassis number 100026 has a build date of 20th June 1989.

The oldest Mk1 known to the Owners Club has number 33 built on the same day.

My chassis number 1414 was built 4th August 1989. 1400 units in about five weeks of production Smile

Amazing! - you have number 26 off the line, so only 25 previous cars manufactured.

I wonder how many of those 25 still exist? Perhaps a few in private collections in Italy.  

Sam Goodwin has been offering his car, chassis 17, for sale.  Saz knows lots about its history.  A fascinating story.

I’m pleased to say we have Eunos (NA6CE) 176 on our drive, which also came via the guys at the mx5restorer

An import from Japan years ago, red, 65,000km, good nick, and we love it!

I do need to find a genius on 1989 radio cassette head units though, as it is virtually inaudible and I have already tried new speakers.

Ralph

PS I also bumped into a guy in Ilfracombe earlier this year who was proud owner of a red G plate which he said was one of the first 2500 (whatever that means…)

Hi all been reading your posts how have you guys found what number your car is in production. Any help would be appreciated