F1 Young đŸ’Ș

Agree with all the above, and the Colour of anyones skin wasn’t mentioned , and doesn’t come into it.

3 Likes

Precisely.

LOL, handbags out! :slight_smile:
This is the internet, so you are entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine.
Come the end of the season we’ll see who has been “schooled”!
Go Leeeeeewwww-issss!

1 Like

1 usually means “One” Fred, 2 usually “Two”.
Last time I checked at least

Non F1 content removed.

Back on topic:
Lewis was robbed! 5s penalty for holding his line (absolutely no steering wheel opening) and being crashed into? WTF? Where are your guide dogs Stewards!

Please keep this thread civil, on topic and without personal attacks.

If you’re in any doubt about expected and tolerated behaviour on this forum then refresh yourself with the rules.

2 Likes

By the way, interesting fact about this forum is that it maintains a history of all post edits that is visible to staff.

2 Likes

Hey guys have been away from conversation for a bit and returned to find this topic I started has wandered off subject, it was about the younger generation of drivers making their mark and being able to come up thru the sport, although I had thoughts on the high wages that are demanded these days in any sport and the morality of it in this day and age. Next time I’ll stay off something that can be thought in anyway controversial
I joined this club for the love of motoring and MX5s if I wanted the other debate I would have joined a political party, please take a chill pill everybody

1 Like

I agree, the topic did go off

All sports go in cycles and as sports usually depend on fitness and mental speed, the young will generally do better. Obviously some have greater natural talent and Lewis has had the best of this on the grid. He has also has the hunger which I do not think has been taken away. He remains a fantastic driver and may win the title, but the younger guys with equal talent, given a decent car will win out. There are a good number of such drivers in the mix and it will be fun to watch some competitive racing. I certainly enjoyed watching Verstappen as he is not afraid to go for it. Whether his chance had passed in favour of LeClerc will be interesting, but there is time for both to make their mark. Lewis will certainly go down as one of the greats and he is great to watch when in a fight as there are few drivers who do not worry when he is in their mirrors

2 Likes

As to the question of wether Hamilton should have got a penalty. F1 rules state

If the driver on the inside is behind at the corner exit
( and that rule is taken from the front of the nose cone)
They must leave space for the driver on the outside.
If the driver on the inside is ahead at the corner exit it is the duty of the driver on the outside to back out or take evasive action to avoid a collision.
I think if you watch the footage the car of Albon was past Hamilton right up to the front wheel. This is probably what the stewards saw and interpreted the rules in that way. Of course these things happen so fast on track.

1 Like

As you say, technically Albon was ahead as Hamiltons front wheel collided with Albons rear wheel - so Albon was ahead. I think that a 5 sec penalty was the lowest penalty that could be given to him, which is probably fair. To be able to race and make decisions in the heat of a corner is extremely difficult, but these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world, so the expectations are high.
Vettel also had a similar incident when he collided and spun, which dropped him to the back, but he came of worst in that collision, so got no penalty. The fact that Albon ended up at the back was unfair on him as the penalty on Hamilton did not affect him. For us watching, it makes the races more interesting and often is not fair
 I remember Verstappen was always going for gaps that were not there when he first started, but he learnt that you have to be patient as to win a race, you first have to finish it. He has learnt well and is still capable of making passes, but without collisions in th emain now.

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of Lewis’s racing licence penalty points, he only has 5 left against Vettel’s 7. It’d not take that much for a ban with either of them. On a really bad day, it could finish Lewis off in one race. Errors of judgement happen, but his wiggle room is potentially pretty serious.

I think maybe Albon needs to show his up to running with the big boys not only to us but of course to his boss’s. Your seat can be taken away from you at Red Bull if you don’t perform, we’ve seen that in the past and in mid season.

1 Like

Got to admit it would have made for an exciting finale - Albon on fresh softs vs. Bottas on well worn hards. Hopefully we get a proper re-match next weekend! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to it, also will be very interesting to see reliability issues and how the teams have dealt with that in only one week. It’s anybody’s race with that thrown in the mix and the odd safety car. Bring it on.

Read this morning Ferrari are rapidly bringing forward the aero tweaks?
I don’t think testing is allowed though surely?
Don’t know what caused Mercs’ g/box overheating though
looks like a few are having shakedown rear-life race issues
including the Flying Finn’s wheel coming off!

Lando record breaker, youngest Brit to ever stand on the podium.

I got from the commentary that the gearbox issue was more to do with the sensors. This was caused by going over the kerbs too much and as F1 cars are fragile, the sensors were heading for failure. The way these things work - no sensor - no gearbox changing - so they had to stick to the track, which arguably they should have done anyway. I know that at some tracks they are very strict on giving penalties for exceeding track limits. However I presume that they are aware that the penalty at this track is more serious

1 Like

In general unless all four wheels are over the line then they are not exceeding track limits. It makes sense and is legal to design the car to use the kerbs, and to use them if it doesn’t damage the car or slow you down.

It’s a bit early to posit Hamilton’s decline. He would conceivably have won without two arguably marginal penalties. I’m not suggesting he received any unjust treatment, that’s the way it goes. Happy to see Bottas win, Leclerc was a bit lucky that Albon was a too brave with Hamilton but he worked for it too.

Hamilton has always had another life, in contrast to some if not most F1 drivers who have a much narrower focus. He defies every stereotype. As a driver he’s a phenomenon. I don’t think Alonso has ever got over being beaten by Hamilton in the same car in his first season.

1 Like

On that last comment, what do we think about a possible come back by Alonso.