Fast, fun cars suitable for a large dog

Your responses to this thread are awesome and dangerous in equal measure! That’s a really interesting vehicle and would work, but it’s an auto. My guess is that an auto of that vintage would be a bit frustrating.

Found a manual:

1 Like

How about this? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307159696532

PS

On a serious note [not had dog in car since 2015] but have memory of reading that [Highway Code ?]

Any Dog must be Harnessed now in a vehicle

Rule 57.

"When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly.

A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."

Thanks Wardy5 for this…most appreciated to see Rule 57 in writing as saving for new Cocker and knew Guidance had changed FOR THE BETTER [was gonna go for a Seatbelt Harness in the NB…Previous Dog Guards in other Vehicles and Pet Carrier for late Cat]

Bless You Wardy5 for this info :smiley:

He travels in the boot and is clipped to the vehicle inside the boot just in case.

A bit much. You can get a relatively tidy looking standard version for under £15k though, which is interesting.

Kia stinger :blush:

It’s a lot of car for the money, but it’s huge - over 4.8m long. If I ever get a second greyhound, maybe… :joy:

How do we have some similarities! I had a 2018 ND 2.0 Sport Nav and then rehomed a greyhound but she wouldn’t fit obviously and swapped the 5 for a Cooper Works kit S on a 19 plate and had the seats down all the time for the hound!
But she would always stick her head through the seats and not safe so got an estate car! I got a Jag XF 300 Sport which obviously had 300 bhp and AWD which was awesome and previous cars were a M235i and a Golf R and the rest!
However I missed the 5 so in time I did a refresh to accommodate me and the dog.
My current line up is an Avensis petrol 157k runs like a dream 40+ mpg and great dog car work horse and another 2018 ND but this time 1.5 with the BBR remap and bad boy exhaust! Should I change the estate car then I would consider a Skoda VRS with real money! RS6 lottery! Hope you get sorted :+1:t2:

1 Like

I sold an M135i well before I got the greyhound and that car would have been OK, although a bit of a pain to put luggage on the back seats because it was a three door.

My hound will go in the back of the Mini without the back seats folded all the way flat. If I put the seat backs upright (they have two positions - not sure what year your Mini was and if it was the same) then I can squeeze him in the boot. It’s safe because there’s a mechanism locking the seat backs in their more upright position and he can’t get through. He’s really restricted, though, and it’s only suitable for short journeys not longer ones or holidays. They tend to be crated for transport in their racing life I think, so the restricted space doesn’t seem to stress them out.

My current thinking is to compare a five door Golf R, Audi S3, and Merc A35 or A45. I’ve had a few BMWs so fancy a change. Other options include a VW T-Roc R or Hyundai Kona N. I need to get up close with the hatchbacks alongside the crossovers/mini SUVs to see if there’s any real gain in practicality from the latter. It’ll be easiest to do with the T-Roc and the Golf at a VW dealership. I don’t think that I can get past the looks of an Audi SQ2 - it doesn’t do anything for me.

Either way I’ll hold onto the Jazz for a while if I swap the Mini, in case I come to my senses and realise the running costs and practicality of the Jazz can’t be beaten.

All I need is somewhere to supercharge the Jazz and sort the suspension out… I’m not entirely joking, either!

Probably does not meet all the criteria but has loads of space, fold down rear seats, quite possibly even for a greyhound, Dodge Challenger. Might even be able to pick up a reasonable example in your budget range, good luck what ever you choose.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.