Fast road/track tyre for NB8A

1. My model of MX-5 is: 10AE
  2. I’m based near: Blackpool
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Great tyres

The tyres all need replacing due to age. I’m no longer looking to be fastest car on the day or to break lap records or win races, and wouldn’t expect to anyway in a standard 10AE, or at my advanced age. I no longer have storage space for extra sets of wheels or the inclination to swap wheels, and I think part of the appeal of the 10AE is its little 15x6 wheels. It comes with 195/50s, and there are also some 45s out there, with which I wouldn’t mind the slight loss of comfort and the speedo being even more optimistic but I would be glad of the lower gearing and the stiffer sidewall. I don’t want an R spec tyre and will instead do a cool down lap in the middle of a session when I go to the track to avoid junking the tyres.

Pilot Sport 3s are ruled out because of reports of cracking on cars that get little use, such as this one - the NC does most of the miles.

Rainsport 5s are ruled out because of their soft sidewall.

AD08s, which I’ve had before, are apparently a different compound now and less grippy and less good in the rain. Otherwise I’d have chosen them without pause.

Toyos don’t get great reviews.

Khumo PS71s have had favourable mentions.

I’ve just had budget Autogreen SSC5s on an S-Special. They performed very well despite being on a very floppy chassis with no ABS.

I’ve got Eagle F1s on the NC and love them. They’re available in 195/45/15.

Please share any other thoughts you may have.