Finding MEE (Motoring Emotional Engagement)

It starts even when it’s low it just warns you. It checks on every start up but the display won’t show level if you start the engine. Perhaps new cars are different but you really should check oil once static and level. The only exception being dry sump systems, not many road cars have dry dumps tho.

Really great read Hien - thoroughly enjoyed it.
Less certainly can be more.
For me part of the connection is getting to know the mechanical details of the MX5 and understanding how it has been put together by working on it and the satisfaction of servicing it,improving it and personalising it even if this can involve a lot of swearing - e.g. changing Mk1 oil filter!
All of this seems to enhance the driving experience.
Cheers
Matt

2 Likes

I’m in the process of clearing out my garage, a long term project, to make a safe place so I too can start swearing! I cursed much more than I should in the process of replacing the dipped beam light bulbs. Ended up taking the front bumper off! I should get the swear jar ready when I attempt to replace the internal drainage pipes.
Agreed about the quiet satisfaction one gets from successfully completing a mod or maintenance.

I’d like to acknowledge all the positive comments everyone has shared by saying thank you. I didn’t want to dilute this thread by posting individual thank you.

Your comments have been very informative for me.

3 Likes

I would suggest that you forward a copy of your original post to the OC mag editor with a couple of pictures. They are always looking for interesting and thought provoking MX-5 related material. This post fits the bill perfectly. Deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

6 Likes

I did toy with that idea but chickened out. Now you’ve given me more confidence :wink: thanks!

4 Likes

I’m with Roadie. Send it in.
What’s the worst that can happen?

3 Likes

I would disagree. Firstly, the latest BMW’s, at least the ones I have been involved with on launches have no dipstick and oil level is checked while warm and running. Personally I would like a dipstick just to know oil is in there, however even these are not fool proof with modern thin oils and non youthful eyesight. I would expect that there are static low level sensors that will prevent an attempted start so that engines without oil are not damaged. But why would checking the engine while static and level be the way to check a modern engine? That is just going back to when a dip stick was the only effective way and makes assumptions about how much oil will be circulating and the level that will equate to in the sump. What you really want to know is if the oil pick up is sufficiently deep in oil while the engine is running because that is when the oil level matters, not when the engine is static.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you disagree it’s a fact. Mine won’t read if the engine is running. Yours?? I have no clue.
I do agree a dipstick is a better idea than a dash read out. I also like a water temperature gauge and they are becoming a thing of the past, now you just get an idiot light.

1 Like

If it is such a fact that you must check engine oil when it is static and level, you really should take this up with one of the largest vehicle manufacturers in the world since they are obviously clueless.

Excellent story and and a lovely read with my mug of :coffee:. I also have a CX5 to sit next to my MX5 and to me the drive of that is also excellent. Jimbo

1 Like

Didn’t say they are clueless. I said mine only reads when the engine is off. End of story.