First mx5 1991

I just don’t know where the cheapest place for parts is tbh. I also need to find out if there is any rust on it because I made the mistake of buying it without going to check it out

Autolinkuk and MX5heaven are best places for used parts. Autolink also give an additional discount for MX5 Owners Club members. There doesn’t seem to be as much used parts as there used to be. A few years ago, cars were being imported just for the parts. That’s dried up.

MX5parts are pretty good on price for genuine Mazda parts, but I find Mazda dealers will try and at least price match the delivered price.

Assume it is rusty. Its nearly 30 years old, these cars rust from the inside out. If its been sitting for a while, I suppose one of the first jobs is to strip out the interior, and chec the floor is ok. Removing the carpet is technically a dash out job, but I have cut the carpet under the dash before, and refitted, and its fine.

You should post some pictures of your purchase…

I have a lot of parts that need getting rid of, but not for free.

That’s my mx5

Gosh, that was looking unloved…

Doesn’t appear to have had any welding, but there might need some attention to the rear sills.

Plug leads are a Japanese performance set; good quality, but they are over 20 years old. The manifold looks to be a £500 performance item; look for a riveted plate with a makers name on it JASMA indicates it was approved for street use in Japan. Most of the Japanese headers will have Goodrich flexi hosing, and this can fail. Cat back looks aftermarket; look for Fujitsubo etc. Wheels are possibly JDM aftermarket. Roof has got abotu 12-18 months left on it. When lowering, unclick from the windsscreeen, then carefully unzip the window. The zip will be stiff, and might need lubrication. The window might be fragile and will crack if folded. Be careful adjusting the mirrors; they will be stiff from corrosion, and a bolt can snap, but this is a cheap fix. Cleaned up, the car will look a lot better, as its been off the road for 2 years. Hope you paid a lot less than £1000 for this.

I think this car has been lowered. Get underneath and see whats there. Stock shocks and springs are painted black. Factory fitted alternatives would be Yellow Bilsteins or Orange KYBs.

I didn’t even realise that it had aftermarket parts on it. I can’t see any rust on it, and you are right, it really does need a clean

I’m assuming someone smashed in the boot lock. Used Roadster rear panels are available, but you can get some FRP alternatives, such as from GV (and its knock offs).

From the MOT history, there was an advisory about some rust. Check the rear wheel arches, if the metal looks all original, and then around the rear sill jacking points. If its bubbling, the rust is coming from the inside out. The interior looks in decent shape, not mouldy, so the roof has kept the water out. However, its shrunk a bit over the doors, so I would still get the seats out (need an impact driver really), and lift the carpets. They have a rubber backing, so water can get in between the floor and the carpety, but the carpets feel dry to touch. Remover the rear deck carpet; underneath there will be an unpaitned bolt on panel that will probably look pretty rusty. Reckon you will need the winter getting the car ship shape, and in good mechanical order, before thinking about modifications.

I’ve had a look, and I saw a bit of rust in the Offside rear wheel arch. I cut it out and welded a new piece in. I can’t see anymore surface rust anywhere. What is next do you reckon?

Get it running; oil flush. I would change the plugs. Number 1 looks grotty.

Need some photos of the car cleaned.

I agree with @ast, fluids (and filters) to get it running. When I picked my project mk1 I did the following:

• Induction Kit (previous owner had removed the one they fitted so was required)
    • As yours has the factory air box I would just get a new panel filter to start with
  • Ignition Leads/Plugs
  • Oil and Oil Filter (and Sump Plug Washer)
  • Fuel Filter

You can get most of that in a kit from MX5 Parts

And clean it!

The OP could probably get service parts for cheap through the trade.

MX5parts is convenient, but not cheap.

More a case for the 1.8, but the Mazda oil pump strainer can block if the car has been sitting for a while, with dire results, hence get it flushed.