Fitted New Wheels

Just purchased some new alloys for my MK3.5.They are MAK Zenith in hyper silver.17"

7 Likes

They look smart on the car

They look great, good choice

One of the nicest wheels Iā€™ve seen on a MK3.5, impressive :+1:

Looking good, have you thought about fitting rim protectorsā€¦?

Love the colour, what a smashing contrast.

Itā€™s Hyper silver, looks even better when sun shines.

Might think about some rim protected,itā€™s a good idea as my last wheels were kerbed.

1 Like

I spent some time looking for new alloys,and really wanted some diamond cut dished,but having done some research,was informed by quite a few sources that they should not be used in winter because of the salt.The salt can cause the laquer to break down, causing the alloy underneath to oxidize.On a normal painted alloy,they have a primer undercoat, paint,and then laquer,making them more durable to the elements.

Those wheels look really good - nice choice. As far as diamond cut are concerned, I would avoid personally. If you need to get them repaired, they are far more difficult and expensive. I had mine repaired (an a golf GTI) a year ago and they need redoing as the lacquer has come off. This is obviously a personal thing, but I would always go for silver paintedā€¦ they look cleaner and are easy to get fixed if you do need to repair them.

Those are nice :+1:

Very smart and suit the car well.

Wise move. Diamond cut alloys with clear laquer are best avoided at any time. I had the AMG wheels on a Mercedes C Class. They were corroding under the laquer around the centre caps area after a couple of years. No interest from MB. Very annoying as the ā€˜traditionalā€™ silver wheels on my previous Astra SRi looked unmarked after six years. Iā€™m starting to see Mercedes about with refinshed wheels with ā€˜standardā€™ silver finish where the owners are not going back to clear laquer.
JS

Agreed very nice looking wheels. :+1:
I had Diamond cut ones (standard fitment) on our Burstner motor home. They had to be replaced after a year. Was informed by them it was a very common problem.
Again, started going again (even under warranty) and that time got told to ā€œhave sex and travelā€!

However, the ones on our SkyActive Mazda 2 (2016) have been faultless.
Another one of lifeā€™s little mysteries. :slightly_smiling_face:

Very nice. Also like the chrome fog light trim.