Flying convertible?

They won’t be allowed to operate from and to roads, at least not in the UK. The Civil Aviation Authority take a very dim view of using a road even in an emergency such as engine failure.

You mean like a helicopter?

1 Like

You make a valid point Paul but, then again, there aren’t that many flying cars in use currently.
I wonder if things might change when flying cars are commonplace? :thinking:
Perhaps constraints regarding operating times, operational altitudes, peak traffic restrictions, main road v back road operations could be employed to allow more open public use?
Will I be around to see it? :grin:
I hope so but doubt it sadly. :relieved:

Cheers,
Guy

Think of the likely takeoff speed and distance needed. Are the authorities ever going to allow it to mix with normal traffic on our ever more congested roads?

They might, subject to it passing type approval including modern passenger safety requirements and emissions (which will make it far heavier than existing light aircraft btw), but only on the ground with the wings folded! From personal experience of building a car from a bare chassis and getting it to pass the Single Vehicle Type Approval test, that isn’t easy for a car, let alone for one that’s also an aircraft. There will be regulatory conflicts, for example I think they might have to either remove the propellor or encase it to pass the pedestrian safety requirements to have it on the road. They will then have to pass the aviation safety and performance regulations. Having been in the aviation profession since 1977 I think it will be overweight to fly very well and will still need an airfield to operate from.

It might be a long standing dream for many to have a flying car but they will probably never be a mainstream method of transport.

A far better option is to buy a nice car and a more practical light aircraft.

2 Likes

And another story (non-story?) on the Beeb about flying cars, but it does mention other models and problems.

1 Like

Reminds me of this short film.

A true convertible, it now has its airworthiness certificate, but this ‘new’ news item shows much the same images as before.

Raining Datsun cogs, possibly? :grimacing:

4 Likes