From bike to car... maybe

@BrilliantBlackBirdy This is much what I am planning to do. For the last 18 months or so I have not used a car at all, in fact I sold mine back in November. The BMW was used for travelling to work etc. The Triumph was for fun. The aim is to buy a new MX5 and try to get back to riding for pleasure only. I ride a lot with my son who has a Daytona 765 GP2 so he is also keen for me to get back on the bike.
Thanks all for the words of support.

2 Likes

No problem, last Tuesday I played twighlight golf (yes my clubs and trolley go in the boot!) Then we had a chat and then ate some takeway by which time it was dark but I still drove home with the top down heater (volcanic) on and in shirt sleeves toasty :+1:. I will ride the bike again this summer and make a decision next year when hopefully this virus is under control and things may be more normal. Ride safe and if you do treat yourself to an MX5, you’ll love it I’m sure.
Kind regards Dave

2 Likes

A friend of mine got hold of an ex 50cc moto GP bike from the sixties, it had a 12 speed gear box and could get to 105mph, it was 2 stroke and was really scary to ride, the throttle was all or nothing, had a tendency to seize quite regular and try and throw you off. What a little beast!

1 Like

First of all best wishes for a speedy recovery Nick.
I have just bought a 2010 roadster. A great drive, and not hard to look at, but I will keep on two wheels for as long as I can. This is a great forum by the way.

2 Likes

Hopefully you will be soon back to full health. When you are you may want to consider the Caterham 7 as an alternative to a 5. The performance difference is vast and coming from a bike this may be of more relevance to you. Just a thought from an ex 7 owner.
:heart:

Much as I would love a Caterham, I need to be able to use the car for my daily commute as well. Certainly can’t do that on the Street Triple!

1 Like

Did both but became an unashamed fair weather biker or “butterfly” biker. Only come out when the sun is out, managed to have about the same cc and bhp in both vehicles.

1 Like

I sold the car a while back so used the bike in sun or snow, that’s why when my wife tries to tell me that the MX5 isn’t very practical as an every day car I can say its better than what I was using :smiley:

3 Likes

Nick

I had a 1200 Bandit. Loved every second of it.
However, over a period of a few years, I found that me and my regular biking buddies all drifted apart, one sold up, another moved out of the area, one got married etc.
It got to the point where I was going out on my own, having fish and chips at my destination (on my own), then riding home… on my own.

My wife has never been a lover of bikes, and wasn’t in the remotest interested in getting on the back. My pride and joy was slowly turning in to an ornament.

One weekend, up in the lake district (in the car), and I saw a couple driving a MK3 MX5.
“I could imagine us doing that” I said.

Then a few weeks later, i met up with my cousin, who has a MK1 as a toy.
“I could imagine us doing that” I said.

The seed was sown.
The longer I thought about it, the more it made sense.
I’m not getting any younger, I’ve had my fun, and still have both arms and legs, maybe now is the right time to hang up my leathers and swap for a flat cap.
Although I’m not entirely sure why I chose the MX5, there are a number of 2 seaters which fit the bill for me.

I reluctantly sold my bike (I actually cried when it went)
The money I got for the bike, I put towards funding a MK3.

That was about 5 (maybe 6 years ago).

I still miss having a bike, I doubt that it goes out of your system.
However, I have now gained some company when I go out for a cruise, the car is more practical, it’s safer, comfier.

The down sides, it take a lot longer to polish, and you didn’t need a vacuum cleaner for the bike.

2 Likes

A great post @BrilliantBlackBirdy. I had a break from biking for over 10 years post accident. Yet something was always niggling / missing. Biking is part of your identity, something non-bikers may not ‘get’. Getting back on wasn’t the emotional rollercoaster I was expecting. It just felt ‘right’.
Yes, it can be dangerous. Yes, we lose too many. But (IMO) we should all live our dash by doing things that make us happy.
That said Nick, if it’s goodbye to two wheels, then the MX5 definitely gives a nod toward the bike experience.
Get well soon, Matt

3 Likes

Wise words, I have been riding bikes since 1979 (if you count a Honda SS50 as a bike). This is why I am still hanging on to the Striple for now. The accident was on 8 April, I expect to be up and walking within the next couple of weeks and will use the insurance money from the BMW to put down a deposit on a new MX5. That much is now decided (joining this forum has gone a long way towards convincing me of that). I don’t expect to be able to ride the bike for another couple of months but I will certainly give it a go as soon as I am physically able. Following that I will make the decision on what to do going forwards.

1 Like

Have an eight year old boy, 2 basset hounds and a wife. Trust me the MX5 is the most practical car you can have if maintaining sanity is your goal. The motorbike is just the icing on the cake, put the cover over the pillion seat for exactly the same reason. Ride and drive safe.

2 Likes

I bought my first MX5 with the sole intention of breaking it to build an Excocet kit car (sort of modernised Caterham space frame job). I ran the MX5 to find any faults before it became a donor vehicle.
But I fell in love with it, and couldn’t break it. It was a scrappy old thing, so sold it and bought a younger one. The kit car idea has been pushed back a few years :sweat_smile:

I have had three MX5s in the last ten years, just keep going back to them, can’t help myself. Nearest thing to two wheels, but keep two wheels if you want to.

1 Like

I had a bad bike accident a few years ago trust me if you buy a MX5 you will never go back to 2 wheels they are so much fun and everyone who drives them has a big smile on there face.
I dont know where you live but whitestone garage in Blackburn lancashire always have some good deals and there aftercare service is fantastic .
ENJOY and get that smile back

1 Like

@Polly23 I think the decision has already been made to buy the MX5 as soon as I can drive again. I live down in St Neots, Cambridgeshire so Blackburn may be a little far to go. But thanks for making contact.

Nick

Never too far!
I live in Bradford On Avon.
Flew from Bristol to Inverness!
Drove home over 2 days and still saved a small fortune like for like.
Right price right car and all that. :+1:

1 Like

That’s interesting Scarletpimpernel, I was thinking about fly to Inverness early in the year I’m from Southend Essex, but saw one in Liverpool instead,bdid you buy yours this year and was it the racing green one beautifully photographed in the Isle of Aaron I think?

Hi,
My trip was in March 2016, (Macrae and Dick) as it was then when the car was just 3 years old.
Only had 6000 with main dealer service history etc.
It was Sport Tech Nav, RFHT, Copper Red Mica.
Picked us up from the airport and a very good experience to be honest.
From experience you have to be quick and not faff around for the good cars.
Always worth a day out (or more) for the car you want. :+1:
Sure Nick will find a good one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Your right on all counts, obviously it wasn’t the one I ws looking at this year, I fell in love with the look at it and it sounded great in the advert that was the heart part of it I then engaged head and looked at the MOT history and it wasn’t good so I gave up on it, as you say there are some good ones out there you have just got to be patient and buy with your head and evidence, let’s hope Nick gets a good one and I agree with you I would travel the length of the country to get the right car. Take care Dave