Fuel what types best

I use 97 because my car isn’t used regularly and higher octane petrol doesn’t “go off” as quick. Apparently…

1 Like

Take a look at the attached article from a previous edition of Hard Top Softtop (what a name!).
It’s from a few years back so some of the stats re government % of ethanol may have changed.
Ethanol corrodes metal and rubber. Personally I always use Shell V-Power in my Mk3 because of this. In my day-to-day car I use it in every 4th tank. Read the article and make up your own mind whether it’s worth paying the extra.

Sorry, article to follow - site will not allow me to upload a PDF !

Attachments as promised

3 Likes

A recent notice (May 2020) on the Shell UK website says that both their unleaded Regular and V Power are likely to contain Ethanol, but no more than 5%

Other way round, Soft Top Hardtop

Thanks IanH, put that way it doesn’t seem a silly name at all!

Bit late to the party, and comments are caveated on having mk3.5 2.0. Personally I’ve no qualms using supermarket petrol; my rationale is they sell it cheaper, they sell more fuel as a result, so their stock gets turned over regularly. Having said that I do use super-unleaded, and for me, it does make a difference in mpg (not huge, maybe 2-3 mpg) and general driving (pick up, acceleration). My father in law (engineer all his life on aircraft and cars) firmly believed that It improved the mechanical longevity (again, I’ve never owned a car long enough to put that to the test!). My father always uses Shell V-power and reckons the extra pays for itself in increased fuel economy.

At the end of the day, it’s personal choice.

1 Like

Maybe. Depends on the car. In a Mk.1 MX-5 I can say it definitely doesn’t, because I was nerdy enough to have noted petrol type and mpg on every tankful for years.

2 Likes

I think you are unlikely to notice a great deal of difference. In theory the ECU may be able to advance the ignition a little which might give a fraction more power at the top end and it is possible that additional additives will allow the engine to clean itself up a little inside. Suggest you wait until you are empty and put in about 25 litres and see if you notice any difference

Hugh Robinson.

1 Like