G-Ltd Cam Belt change

I have owned my Mk1 for some 6 years now and whilst it had a belt change as I bought it i would think that it is about time for a new one.
I also have a slight leak from the front crankshaft seal so would like to take the opportunity to replace the seals, water pump and generally tidy up this area.
Now as this is a big job I would prefer to pay the extra and fit Mazda parts but I am being offered Gates and other aftermarket parts.
First time I will have done a cambelt change so want to get it right first time.
What are peoples experience/thoughts on which parts to go for.
As usual many thanks in anticipation of your responses.
Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Dave

Hopefully the crank oil leak just requires a good replacement seal to remedy. Be aware that oil leaks are notoriously difficult to pin down. A leak from the cam cover gasket can mean oil working its way down and around to the crank area and fire off the moving pulley very easily, making it appear to be the source. I did my 97 MK1 a couple of years ago and struggled with what to replace with this job when no leak. As you have a leak, definitely worth doing or at least inspecting whilst replacing the other parts. In your position I would replace cambelt, idlers, waterpump, crank seal and cam seals too. I would suggest that you will have more issue with the quality of work carried out than the parts fitted; no disrespect meant just the way it is. If the job is done properly and no damage caused there is very unlikely to be issue with quality parts, Mazda or otherwise fitted. The only caveat is the cam cover gasket. I will never fit anything other than Mazda original part, beggar the extra cost.

I think Mazda get their belts from Gates.

Hi Rhino, long time no speak.
Not going to be taking it all down any time yet, I am a fair weather fettler, just starting to gather the parts in anticipation. I have a front and rear oil leak so thought as cam belt needs doing I would tackle the front first.
Not done this before so thought I would take my time and replace everything seals, all timing belt parts, water pump etc.
With respect to the quality of work, I assume you mean previous owner’s work and as we have spoken at length in the past over work I have undertaken so no offence taken.
Cam gasket is good, did the CAS O ring a couple of years go and heeded advice re using genuine gasket.
Just thought I would ask for opinions on named & aftermarket parts like the belt kits and water pump. There are big differences in some prices, I don’t mind if higher cost equals better reliability.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave

Thanks Saz, useful to know,
Dave

Hi Dave.
I’m in the same boat but mine’s an NB.
I opted for genuine waterpump and pulleys plus crank seal but I’m going with a Gates belt. They have a good reputation.
Like you I shall only attempt the job when the weather allows.
Good luck with your project.

Hi TOGs and thanks for your thoughts, I am leaning the same way.
Good luck also with your car.
Roll on the better weather.
Dave

Ok so 4 months on and I have now completed the cambelt change, not started it yet but all looks good so far. A few minor problems and expenses along the way, crank pulley was damaged and had ground away the lower timing case cover but then the car is 27 years old.
Just cleaning up the various parts of the cooling system and I discovered that the metal link pipe between the water pump and radiator is way past its best. So who sells them, the usual sources are awaiting stock and s/hand ones look as bad as mine.
I have read somewhere that the single rubber hose of a Mk2 can be used to replace the Mk1 set up and this would get my car back on the road whilst I await the correct part.
Anyone have any experience of this replacement?

First Belt change so belt and braces approach I think.

Nothing going to move hopefully and it didn’t!

That takes care of the cam shafts when the pulleys were off.

Finally all back together.