George / Merc F1šŸŽ

The problem with Stroll is he has been out performed by his team mate, yet it is Perez who has lost his seat (to a driver who should have just retired)

But if you owned the team and your son was nearly as capable as the front runners, would you drop him, or Perez. As an objective observer, Perez should stay, but in reality it is not objective and you have got to give him some mileage in keeping his son. He may be a hard nosed business person, but I can see why he has done it. Yes his son is not the best, but he is still very good (or at least good enough). He should have still had Perez over Vettel thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Agree completely with Richard re Seb.
I think, Nico Rā€™s finest F1 moment (and perhaps a notable lesson to others) after he managed to take advantage of some of LHā€™s bad luck, take the fight to him on track even though it was not pretty at times, and take LHā€™s assumed Championship from him for once) was when he immediately left the so-called ā€œsportā€. It had drained every ounce out of him, he knew there would be no repeating itā€¦or at least highly unlikelyā€¦and marched off on a high with his chin up.
I admired his refusal to be intimidated on or off track. You could usually bet there was going to be fireworks on track.
Enzo was an absolutely nasty piece of work on several levels, but his maxim of not employing married-with-kids drivers came back to haunt Ferrari decades later. Perhaps he had a point.
It might be amusing to see how Seb is ā€œmicro managedā€ in his ā€œAstonā€ with Stroll balancing what is best for the team and seeing how his lad performs against a multiple champion. I think Seb will be still more than wired up enough to extract every fraction of a 10th out of his side of the garage.

Oh wellā€¦" Himself" has been passed to have his keys handed back this weekend.
Fair play to him but disappointed for Georgeā€¦themā€™s the breaks.

Well he got his keys back, but it seems he may as well have had another weekend off and let young George have another go. He had done what he wanted to do this year, so why not let someone else try for their dream, to get on the podium

Iā€™ve never been an admirer of Vettel since the ā€˜no overtakeā€™ thing with Mark Webber at Red Bull. An excellent driver, but not much of a person. So this time round, I could have hardly cared less when Ferrari dumped him before a wheel had turned for this season. So no big surpises if his motivation has been low. I think heā€™ll probably do well at Racing Point/Aston Martin. All things being equal, that is.

I wonder what happens if he consistently shows up Lance Stroll. Does he suddenly get assigned a lesser race engineer, orā€¦ ?

TBH, Petronas were riddled with aero & power unit ( reliability threat issues) so they wound the Duracell bits back around .8 secs a lapā€™s worth. Allegedly.
Heā€™d have been saddled with a below par 44, and would perhapsā€¦have been pelted by (even) VB. Imagine the trolls & pit sniggers.
Maybe best GR was not near them. At least he ended on a high on several levels.
Petronas, as I understand, had to wind in the leccy bits and the floor pans were a bit AWOL.
They did not have to give a hootā€¦soā€¦they didā€™nt!
It was not the RB being epic yesterday ( but a win is a win)ā€¦it was just Petronas being economical really.
Fair play to Maxā€¦he kept it clean & honest in an inferior machine. It was handy to have two mobile road blocks behindā€¦making the whole event yet another F1 Mogadon Moment.

Well a decisive year for Mr Hamilton, his seventh world Championship, getting a straight named after him at Silverstone race track and now the BBC sports personality of the year, a triple header if you want. Well done to him. Looking forward to F1 next year if it happens, not sure if it will with this new strain of Covid spreading across Europe not sure if borders may start to close for longer in the circumstances.

2 Likes

But is he the fastest driver or the just the fastest driver of the fastest car?

Doubts were sown in my mind when George got to drive it.

He is undoubtably talented, but does the car flatter him???

George Russell is not a rookie anymore. Is had almost 2 seasons under his belt and was mercedes test driver at times. He knew the team he knew a lot about the car having driven it and previous incarnations in tests.

He is also a top level driver and will no doubt go on to be a world champion.

People forget that Lewis went up against double world champion Fernando Alonso in his ROOKIE season and almost won the championship.

He also finished on the podium in his 1st 8? Races.

Lewis is an exceptional talent and has only been beaten twice by his teammates in his career. Once with Jenson when his personal life was all over the shop and once by Nico when he suffered a huge amount reliability problems compared to his team mate.

1 Like

You donā€™t have to add words as to why he was beaten, The facts are ā€œhe was beatenā€.

Some times, you just have to wonder what Hamilton has to do to prevent the silly rhetoric that heā€™s nothing special . He was special from when he started winning in Formula Renault . utterly stellar in GP 2 and has rarely put a foot wrong in F1 . He rattled Alonso so much that he lost the plot in 07 and has won more than anybody else . Now that doesnā€™t of itself make him better, or even necessarily as good as Fangio , Clark or Senna (to name but three) - as times are so different . Drivers have far longer careers , the carā€™s donā€™t break and we have more races.

But of the world champions in my time following the sport I can think of only a handful of years where the champion did not not have the best car -Hulme in 67 , Rosberg in 82 and, most notably, Prost in 86 . Great drivers get the best car because theyā€™re so good .

Hamilton is a great -if not necessarily a GOAT - and we should rejoice in that . He deserves every credit.

2 Likes

Take it your not a fan of our Lewis then Reggie? :wink: