Ghost engine light?

Thanks for the tip, will I have to get under the car or can I do that from the top if I remove the air intake hosing?

I have just changed all the spark plugs with no improvement, if anything I think when I clear the code it is come it back quicker on a test run.

Time to try the crank shaft position gap tomorrow, I’m out of daylight tonight.

You can do it from the top, I’d probably set it a bit closer, maybe 0.8mm

1 Like

Ok, I think that I’ve done my best to check the gaps for the crank position sensor and seems like they are all fine, there was a lot of crud on the sensor so I’ve cleaned that off but to no avail.

Next stop is leads so I have two new spark plug leads from coil packs to the other spark plugs on order but I also have some time booked in with the garage to check the Lamda sensors and if there is no joy then we are looking at a whole new ecu-ignition wiring loom. Sad times.

Does anyone have experience replacing a wiring loom? Is it literally plug and play or do I need to do anything more? Is it something that I can do myself without needing to break out a multimeter?

Michael

Other issues aside, with recorded error codes and an obvious trail, the MK2/MK2.5 crank sensor is a regular cause of issue. Original sensors fail and new ones do not work on occasion and sometimes there is no diagnostic error code recorded.
Make sure the crank sensor is working.

How would I check a crank angle sensor without replacing it or do I just need to try replacing it?

Edit: are we talking about the crankshaft sensor or crank angle sensor? Seems the difference in cost is significant!

I think this might be what I need, if you can let me know if I have to buy a replacement or can check it first that would be wonderful.

Mystery solved! (Hopefully).

Having been back to C&C Sparkes Colon has rested the lamda sensors and establish that one or other has failed so will get them both swapped over. Fingers crossed, I’m so bored with this and just want to get on with doing other stuff one the car.

So, did a Sparky shove a rested lamda up someone’s colon? :mask:

4 Likes

Yes, my ‘5 was violated! All in a good cause however, both sensors getting swapped next week.

Then I’m going to upset Colin by putting a cold air intake in!

1 Like

Oohhhhhh…

2 Likes

Ah Kenneth Williams! Do you remember Round the Horne?

“Hello, I’m Julian and this is my ‘friend’ Sandy…”

2 Likes

Only too well.
Brilliant comedy team.
Was still available Simon till recently.

But…

1 Like

I have them all on CD!

“Hello I’m J. Peasmold Gruntfutock and I’d like to complain about the amount of sex and violence on television these days.”
“Well I’m sorry but we’re doing all we can.”
“You may be but there’s still not enough.”

3 Likes