Half the cars stolen in London are stolen electronicaly

This was on SKY news this morning.

I assume this is only possible if there is a wireless port on the computer??

Does anyone know if Mazda cars, in particular MX5s have a wireless port??

Gales.

I think the MX5 is probably at less risk than the higher end luxury cars it’s just not worth the effort monetarily. Yes I believe the key fob can be bypassed but whether access to the OBD2 port will allow the immobiliser to be de activated I’ve no idea plus the steering lock needs to be negotiated as well.

I think what is evident that cars with remote entry and keyless ignition systems are potentially very vulnerable. Not sure that any of this is going to make me purchase an additional visible anti theft device yet.

I’m surprised that any aren’t electronically stolen. With the vast majority of new cars coming with an immobilizer as standard, you need to hook up to the ODBII Port to get the car to start (I would assume).

Some BMW’s were particularly at risk as thieves found they could smash the quarter-light window without setting off the alarm and then use a £30 piece of kit hooked up to the easily-reachable diagnostic port through the window to unlock and start the car.

On Sky news this morning, it showed a person standing a few yards away from a car and holding a small electronic hand held device with an aerial sticking out of the top, apparently it scans all the codes in the car’s computer and when a green light came up on the device he just opened the car door, no alarm sounding. I assumed therefore that the car’s computer(s)has a wireless port?

Gales

Basically it works by capturing the signal from the key to the car, then allowing to replicate it therefore unlocking the car it does not mean the car can be started :). 

BMW was different as the obd2 port has to be in a fixed location, which was in alarm dead spot, the obd2 was alive and allowed key programming…the rest is history including the car.

Yes my bmw was recalled last year and the problem was sorted out it was only on the 2006 to 2009 models I think .