Hard top opinions please

I got one with mine but got rid of it as never used it. I didn’t like the look of it either. Makes them look like Teletubbies house.

1 Like

Well now my SWMBO has looked at the picture and said of a black roof, I quote : it would look like you just got it from a scrap yard and couldn’t be bothered, and it would make the car look dumpy ! Previously she had said it would be a nice contrast ! Don’t go there, don’t even ask :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: she does think the blue in the picture is the bussiness, and of course she must be obeyed :wink:

1 Like

Yes that’s definitely starting to look like a possible option, thanks for pointing it out. Dave

1 Like

Do what you are commanded. Happy wife. Happy Life.
It saves on the Silent Treatments & side-glance flesh wound through & throughs.
Trust me…

1 Like

You are so so right :laughing: and my lovely wife agrees​:joy:

I did put on a few pounds during lockdown :smile:

I was going reply earlier, same colour hard top as the body colour, there that’s your mind made up.

At a car show once and a very nice NB was on display, it was crystal blue, I remarked to my wife what a lovely colour. She replied and what’s wrong with red.
Mentioned many times, may change the MX-5 in passing, not for blue is always the reply.:face_vomiting:
I keep quiet.:grimacing:

1 Like

Yes I’m coming to the same conclusion blue on blue almost made my mind up sorry I mean my wife has made it up for me.
Your a wise man, keep quiet and smile sweetly, it’s a form of self defence :smile:

1 Like

Our cars always have had to be blue. An absolute must; hence the old Vextra, the NC Niseko, and everything we were looking at to replace the dead Vextra.

However after almost two weeks of looking at lots of boring euro-boxes with tiny turbos and seats that didn’t fit her left elbow she saw the Mazda3 hidden away behind the dealers, and said “That looks nice.”
“But, it’s red.”
Sitting in it, “Ah it fits. I’ll have this one.”
“It’s red. I thought you wanted blue.”
“I like this red.” Maybe Mazda knows better than I do, Soul Red.
SWMBO is ALWAYS right. This is the first rule of a happy marriage, fiftieth anniversary coming up on Halloween.

3 Likes

Had a Mazda3 as a courtesy car recently whilst my MX5 was in for a service. Horrible, horrible car. Wouldn’t have one if you paid me. Steering way too light, felt like I was sitting inside a box.

Anyway, as for hard tops, I had one with my 20th anniversary edition. Only had it on the car twice and the first was to drive it home from the dealer. I sold it last month as it was just taking up space in the garage. It didn’t look bad when on the car but it’s a faff getting it on and off and let’s be honest, the MX5 is a convertible so a bit pointless buying a hard top really.

1 Like

Thanks Peteg1, interesting point, again it’s making me think, does anyone else have a view on weather having a hard top is pointless ? Any pros and cons welcomed before I spend out on a respray ?

Hiya, I dont think they’re pointless as such but my own experience on my previous NC were this;
PRO’s
I thought the car looked great when it was fitted and the rear screen was bigger than on the soft top giving better visibility.
Slightly better from a noise perspective.
More secure.
I learnt how to take it off and fit it on my own.
CON’S
I had hanging brackets but it was a total pain in my small garage to maneuver around.
Could go out for a run with it fitted, then weather picked up but couldn’t drop the roof to enjoy the sun!

So I sold it! Now have a PRHT model, best of both worlds! I appreciate OP has a different model without that option though. A good quality mohair roof with heated window is probably the way to go.
Barrie

1 Like

Thanks Barrie, yes if I had gone for a MK3 it would have been a PRHT.
Dave

That hardtop had already been sold. Dave

1 Like

Kinda depends on how the 5 is used. In SWMBO’s case it was garaged ok, but was a daily in hail, rain, and often times snow to get to school 5 days a week…come what may.
Looking back on these 12 years of hard use, both she and the car were a bit epic…even in rim depth snow…without namby pamby snow tyres. She’s a damn good adverse weather driver…because she had to be.
Main thing for us was after a major rot refurb, we knew the rain rails were being diverted and all the crud ran down the wings. Then there is the much broader rearview vision in winter…useful. And for us, a HT was an added security item giving it was in a school car park milling with not so little feral 2 legged SOB’s
Had the car just been another weekend toy, I’d probably agree with your opinion up to a point.

Interesting, mine is a mainly for fun car and I have access to my wifes car and our campervan, maybe I should sell the hardtop and get a half cover for the roof for regular use, I have just bought an eyewateringly expensive all over cover ! Another insightful post from you :+1:.

1 Like

TBH,
SWMBO upgraded to her 5 from of all things a Renault 5 Campus 1.4i. A bit different.
I bought her a Knockhill track training session with the professionals. Come the first snowfall, I took her to a huge former empty factory site, and let her rip to learn what controlled oppo locking, ABS, and an LSD really meant…a confidence booster.
I need not have worried really. She gets a grip by it’s scruff and it knows who is boss! All credit to her. Suffice to say Penny has a sheltered dry-only life now in retirement.
Never the less, we cannot keep it for ever. That will be 13 years ownership last June. Only does around 3k per annum now so the cost-per-mile " Return for Investment" has rocketed bar fuel. Tax is stupid for a kick off…as you know. Our son is giving her FOC his minted low miles Fiesta 1.25 Zetec in the Spring so I think Penny will need to find a new home.
The Roadster is a keeper though…until I cannot drive…safely.

1 Like

I agree, I didn’t like the too-light steering, SWMBO is happy. Her car, so who am I to complain.
But a recent change of tyres from the original Toyo Nano energy to Dunlop fixed it.

1 Like

I may be starting to sound like a critical old sod but I wouldn’t bother with a half cover either. Not at least the ones that stick with magnets, they just scratch the hell out of your paintwork & trap moisture. The roof doesn’t leak anyway so no point in one really. The only problem I have with the roof is that the cat thinks it’s a great bed so I have a deterrent on the fence next to it.

2 Likes

I don’t like them either on a number of levels…especially after what one did to my mint Celica ST GT Liftback in the 80’s. We lived at 900ft above sea level where snow went to bonnet levels though!
Best just keep the hood properly conditioned in my opinion…and let it breath. So long as the seals etc are all good…no problem. Including drain holes…crucially.
It’s vital to keep water & damp away from the ECU and inner sills/box sections for a kick off.
That’s the issue…make sure it’s all as it left the factory…as far as possible.
Plenty on Google about them.