hardknott pass lake district

about 130 miles away but worthy of run if you’re ever in the area is ‘The Strines’ between Pensitone and Castleton.

Nice pub in the middle for a spot of lunch.

Last year, on holiday in Crete, my wife accidentally navigated us up the narrow mountain road north of Kapsodasos; it has 27 hairpin bends. The 1.4 litre Fiat hire car only just had enough power to climb it and scrabbled for grip on the steepest corners. No safety barriers, sheer drops off the corners. It was so steep at times it restricted my view so I couldn’t tell which way the next corner was likely to turn. Scary stuff, but I’m glad we did it. I was most concerned that we might meet another vehicle coming down against us because the road was often very narrow, with a 12-18" drop off alongside the tarmac, so you couldn’t pull over. Thankfully, we didn’t (no-one else stupid enough to try it, I suppose).

Strangely enough, I’ve found videos on YouTube - they all show a descent, not a climb…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00Fhq6JVtQ&list=PLEtsy34YaI-1d__hyK7UEREX_OtUlXVGT

did it many year ago in a mx5 mk1 auto that auto box made it a stress free drive…did it last year in my RF very good road to drive although there are some drivers you need to be awere off don’t know the with off there car or can’t reverse  one car just sat there I had a car bhinde me so pulled as close to the wall as possible till the oncoming car had no choice but to pass when I pulled away there was a loose rock that I did not see and it clipped my wheel left a nice scar 

Did it many years ago. Seem to remember having major brake fade and had to stop to let the brakes recover

I’ve done them several times in a variety of cars, the most interesting way is on a motor bike, if a car baulks your progress it is impossible to put a foot down ,in most parts.

We camped in the Lake District last year. We took what was the straightest and shortest route back to our campsite from a day out in Ambleside blissfully unaware it was taking us via Hardknott.
My wife was driving, in her Kia Niro, but when she saw the warning sign at the start of Wrynose, she pulled over and insisted I drove.
There were a few ‘interesting’ moments squeezing past oncoming traffic going up and over Wrynose and in the valley bottom.
Amazingly, we didn’t meet anyone coming the other way as we went up and down the other side of Harknott, but it was still probably the most intense driving experience I’ve ever had. I must admit I was glad to be driving an automatic car on the way up. I imagine a few clutches have been cooked up there!