Hardtop door gaps and rear heater cable

Put my hardtop on the car and theres a gap either side where the hardtop, door and body meet. Is this normal and if not how do I fix it? It’s a 1992 na, not sure what year the hardtop is.

Also the connector for the heated rear window in the car is on the drivers side but on the passanger side on the hardtop. I’m guessing my best option would be to make an extension to connect the two unless I’m missing something?

The standard HRW connector is on the passenger side. Take out the rear deck carpet and investigate what has gone on.

What Richard says, plus, have you pushed it fully home on the rear deck pegs? (Frankenstein bolts)

Barrie

Is it a Round or square connector on the car loom side?
Early cars had no hrw loom or telltale on the dash, twr hardtops and looms got fitted at dealerships and from memory got routed on the drivers side.

By 1992 it should have the square connector

Should have but I have seen 1992 Registered cars that are actually 1990 model build.
So no hrw tell tale no electric antenna connection or fuse block assy and no hrw loom.
Some pics of this loom and a pic around the antenna Base will make it clear.

The connector for car and hardtop

Will double check this when weather is a bit better. I thought it was on properly but will double check. I assumed the seals where from a later model or something.

Both have square connectors posted images below EDIT: well above

That loom on the car is definitely for the TWR hardtop and will also have power for an interior lamp that was fitted on those hardtops.
You will be able to exend this and connect up if your clued up with a multimeter.

1 Like

Did the twr hardtops have connecter passenger side then? Could this be why hardtop seals dont line up?

Yes the loom got fitted at dealerships if a hardtop was required on an early model build not necessarily registered year.
This will not have any bearing on the hardtop seals.
As in the previous posts make sure the rear deck (frankenstein) Bolts are snug in the brackets.
Whenever I put a hardtop to a new car I always undo the rear chrome brackets to reveal the deck bolts, slacken the 12mm bolts then slacken off the side brackets attached to the car, then secure the front clamps followed by the side clamps.
Tighten up the slackened side clamps and then push the horseshoe bracket with the plastic shim tight under the deck bolts then Tighten.
Then I would the check seal fit and adjust the seals if required, to do this remove the rubbers and loosen the screws to move the seal retaining plate to suit.
Once happy I would then adjust the tension on the hardtop clamps.
Maybe there is a guide on the forum for carrying all this out with images?

1 Like

Managed to close the gap on passanger side with a few extra pairs of hands. Think this is as good as it will get. Having trouble doing same on drivers side but fixing it with jass performance brackets by myself seemed to be the problem. Its definitely advised to have a couple people help.

Is this how its supposed to look or do you think it can be a bit more flush.