Harsh ride

I hope he sticks to his word. You may already know that a trader/dealer is responsible for any major faults occurring that could have been developing for 6 months from sale, and they have to prove the fault started after the sale, although in reality as cars age it gets more and more of a grey area.
Sounds like he’s playing ball so far, hope it comes good for you.

The top and bottom wishbones on an NC need the wishbones replaced not just the bushes to keep the car standard, else Polybushes will be needed, (standard wishbones have moulded in rubber bushes) or you are in the hands of the Polybush manucturer and the selected bush by the repairer which may have been the cheepest not the best for your purpose??

You are more likely to get a harder ride with Polybushes especially if harder bushes have been used. For regular road only use I would want the standard Mazda supension arms fitted for road use.

If using Polybushes I alwsys fit either Superpro or Superflex if I want Polybushes, a tad more costly but worth the extra. MX5 Parts sell Superpro bushes.

Roy

1 Like

Thank you Roy. My MX is the base version (nearly) I think and is running on 16" wheels, 50 section Michelin’s with lots of tread. It is purely a road car so I won’t be going to poly bushes. I have to wait to see what Thrussington’s have to say/quote.

Thanks for your advice. Jerry

This saga continues. I’ve been away for a couple of week with my MX-5 parked in my garage. I drove a short distance when I returned the other day and the harsh ride was gone. YEA.
But so was all the damper oil and the front end was bouncing over the bumps!!

The dealer I bought the car from has agreed to replace the dampers but with ones costing him about £32.50 each. Undoubtedly not Mazda ones, probably some cheap Chinese rubbish, I don’t want them fitted.

Has anyone used the Koni SRT.T shock absorbers? Any opinion? I would pay the extra to have decent dampers fitted.

This has finally come to a satisfactory (?) solution. I hired a 4 wheel trailer to take the car the 60 miles to Ilkeston and left it with the back street garage that did the original spring replacement. They discovered they had fitted soft-top MX-5 springs instead of the PRHT springs and agreed to replace the springs and dampers. I asked them to fit new bump stops from MX5Parts saying I would pay for them. In fact the originals looked OK when I went to get the car back. It now sits at a proper ride height at the front. :slightly_smiling_face:

One thing “bothers” me a bit though. The steering is now stiffer, with very little/no self centering. Any pointers/advice why this may be? Will it improve?

Advice appreciated, Jerry