Has your insurer denied you having a hardtop fitted?

So i’m with AXA, good price and offered me a multicar discount as my main motorway hack is insured with them. I was considering saving my pennies to get a hardtop for the winter, so gave them a ring to see what the cost would be to add a hardtop to the policy - they don’t cover them! (pardon the pun). 

I find it a bit silly really, since it was a factory option, and i’m pretty sure mine has had the matching hardtop at sometime in the part due to marks on the fittings!

Has your insurer now allowed it?

Someone said, not sure if it was on here, that his insurance company objected because they thought the hardtop may be a target for theft! i never mentioned mine to my own insurance company , although my hardtop has been in the spare room since i bought the car so i dont suppose it matters really. 

Regards jan

As Jan says, I think this is much more a case of “least said, soonest mended”.

Insurance companies aren’t really interested in every little factory option parts being listed, particularly for older cars. They will write it off with a nominal value for just a scrape on a wing, let alone having a hardtop stolen (has anyone actually heard of this happening first hand?).

Its the same for alloys and steel rims - as long as they aren’t stupid Carlos Fandango things that attract attention from the chavs or boys in blue, then don’t make your lives difficult by asking questions of your insurance because if you do, then they are almost obliged to act on it. And that will mean either saying “no” because that is the easy option, or “give us £££”.

However if you are the nervous type then by all means pick up the phone to them, but don’t expect to get an answer you’ll be happy with.

The argument sometimes advanced is that these options can make the entire vehicle more attractive to thieves. But some insurers are more sensible than others.

I was looking at the “modifications” page of a insurance comparison web site, and would you believe, it listed “locking wheel nuts” as a modification! Now that is just silly.

I totally agree with these wise words. Many questions are better not asked, the answer is very often unwelcome, and unexpected, and only serves to create further anxiety.   In this marvelous modern world, in which I have the misfortune to live, everyone spends so much time, from necessity, in the litigation mad society, watching their back they are unable to do the job before them.  Every single query is logged as evidence in case you should make a claim.  Unless asked directly, remember the wartime slogan, Be like Dad, keep Mum!   Bridges are meant to be crossed when you come to them, not before!

Regards  Geoff Peace.

However, a little advance planning never hurts, better to arrive at the bridge and find it is actually suitable for your vehicle, and not a footbridge. Too late to moan when your insurer won’t pay out for your stolen hardtop if you didn’t tell them it was fitted. Most policies say that they [the insurer] must be informed of all mods. pesonally when I lived over there I had a list of everything that was modified on my car, I kept it upto date and faxed it to the insurers each time a change was made. The vast majority of mods didn’t attract a premium hike.

Not telling your insurer about modifications is asking for trouble and may  well invalidate your insurance leaving you out of pocket and in real trouble in the event of an accident or other incident .

If the vehicle has been changed in anyway from the standard spec it had when it left the factory, then you really  are better calling your insurers just to check and lethem know.

A lot of modifications won’t attract any additional premuim, they only add to the premium if it increases the “risk” on the vehicle, i.e they are perfomance modifications which increase the risk of a more expensive accident, or style modifiacations which woul dmake the vehicle more attractive to a thief or more expensive to repair than a standard vehicle.

Can i clarify my own position regarding this, i stated in my earlier post that i had not informed my insurance company about my own hardtop, however it was never my intention to encourage others to do the same…

The reason i did not tell the insurance company was that i did not realise, when i bought the car, that the hardtop would be regarded as a modification, as it was supplied new by mazda with the car, to the first owner. I have never used it and it is in my spare room so has never before been an issue in my mind.

I wonder how many other options ordered with many cars now , sat nav., leather seats, alloys or air con. come to mind., would then be regarded by insurance companies as modifications? My car has had a powerflow exhaust and a k@n 57i induction fitted, my company were advised of this and did not increase my premium.

I always regarded after market items like alloys as being mods but where do you draw the line, i have aftermarket mats, number plates and some chrome items too, my insurance company were not interested in these items when i mentioned them.

Regards Jan. 

This does not suprise me.  AXA have recently cancelled my insurance when I told them that I had an aftermarket air filter fitted to my MX-5Shock

I got a good deal with REIS (used to be Richard Eggar), who told me that most mods do not affect premiums. 

Recommended!Thumbs up

It’s intriguing to see here how many people have quite blatently said ‘just don’t say anything’. 

In my situation, if i had just kept quiet and fitted a top, and then had an accident, there would be a possibility that if the car was taken away for inspection by the underwriters, then I would potentially invalidate my policy since the top is specifically on the ‘no no’ list.

Its a shame really, since I’m only with AXA due to the multicar discount they provide, if the '5 was my only car, then I would have gone with REIS for example since they have a very relaxed approach to mods and understand the ‘scene’ a bit better. In any respect the money not spent on a top will most likely go on a replacement soft top!