Hay fever vs top down

I guess I know the answer to this, but it’s worth asking in case I’m wrong. I assume if you suffer from hay fever (grass pollen in particular) at this time of year, it’s best not to have the top down?

Depends on the quality of your pollen filter, if you have one and if you can bear to be top up in this glorious weather. To be honest, far more airflow with top down when moving.

My hayfever is bad this year so I takes me pills and drive top down whenever I can.

3 Likes

Not sure that any of the MX5s have ever been fitted with a ‘pollen filter’ of any kind so just enjoy the top down experience. Certainly ND models don’t have one.
:heart:

1 Like

No pollen filter in NC’s. :heart:
No top down in Summer?
Where one of these and get the top down. :wink:

3 Likes

Actually most people will have some FFP2 masks to hand. Highly effective in reducing exposure to pollen. As will a cloth mask.

5 Likes

As a long term hay fever sufferer I tend to agree with you Saz.

However, before these masks were widely available I also found a paracetamol can be very effective, more effective than antihistamines which after a few decades became totally useless for me.

The very best cure (for me, but we’re all different) is regular swimming in chlorinated swimming pools to toughen up the sinuses etc, no hay fever for a couple of decades.

Alas two years of Covid, and therefore no swimming because of the hassle with GLL at my local pool, mean my allergy has returned, and the paracetamol has been in use the last few weeks of sunshine when/if the itchy eyes return.

4 Likes

My wife also suffers from Hayfever at this time of year, particularly with her eyes, but as we both love having the top down, she bought herself a pair of large wrap around sunglasses, the feminine looking ones , not the Terminator style, :sunglasses: but these along with the antihistamines really help.

2 Likes

I sense that is not an MX5 !!! nice colour though whatever it is.

…I counted the seats and everything :wink:

4 Likes

Diagnosed with several allergies as a child [including Hay Fever]

Trauma as child…[Anyone remember when they put over 30 different allergens on your arms & then used a needle to ■■■■■ them all to see if you were allergic ?]

But lived in various areas UK & Abroad over 64 yrs

Worse place is where I live now…[but me thinks this could be ‘Age Related’ as I’ve been diagnosed with ‘Dry Eyes’ ?]

Sneezing Fits…Regardless of Whether I’ve Got the Windows Open/Closed at Home

To Be Honest…I Don’t Care

Putting the Roof Down Every Opportunity

[Beats Being Stuck in Doors with My Allergy to Household Dust…Now That’s the Nasty One That Affects My Breathing]

Maybe It’s Me…But I’ve Decided I’m Not Going Let My Health Conditions [Arthritis/Blood Pressure et al]

Stop Me Doing What I Want or Need to Do in Future

OK…It’s Just Going Take Me Soooooooooo Much Longer & Just Involve More Discomfort & Pain

GRITTING MY FALSE TEETH :sweat_smile: :laughing: :woozy_face: :sneezing_face: :hot_face: :cry: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

Roof down, no masks, big blob of vaseline under nose to catch pollen.

2 Likes

Really. I didnt know that!

1 Like

I not thought of vaseline

1 Like

I have hay fever, its partucularly bad this year, you can read reports on that.
I sufferred a bit driving with the roof down all the time in France. I found lubricating eye drops helped each time we stopped and also Vicks nasal spray to help reduce the effect on the nose.
Its worth trying a few thingsnto see what suits you

1 Like

Yes, I do remember the allergy treatments. As a kid in the 60’s, I had all sorts of allergies.
I had two stints of visits to children’s hospital in Glasgow. The doctors gave pinpricks all the way up both arms with samples of various likely culprits. Depending on the reaction at each site, they’d be able to tell which ones were significant allergies. Mine were pollens, dust, horse hair and various others.

The next phase was that once a week over a period of something like 15 weeks, I’d go to my local GP. Starting with small syringes, gradually increasing in size over the weeks, I’d receive anti-allergenic injections. The final syringes were huge. The benefits of this treatment did wear off over time. Some years later, as a 14 year old, I tried the newly available drug Piriton for hay fever. It worked, but I felt drugged, and that I was encased inside a kind of haze. So I stopped.

Nowadays, I make nettle tea, put it in the fridge, and drink several glasses of that each day, like now, when the pollen levels are very high. It tones down all the symptoms…, sneezing, eye watering, itchiness…, and in particular I feel less miserable. And no adverse side effects.

With the MX5, I’m not really into long distances of top down driving. I prefer to keep the hood up, with both windows fully down, and rear screen unzipped.

2 Likes

You dare be found with your roof UP during this fantastic weather, And our secret service department will be after you, A few sneezes don’t compare with
The feeling of the Wind in your air … Take care. From Ray in Essex
And if you are nearby in Ongar area please drop into the Woodman Pub at Stanford rivers on the 15. Many of the North Thames MX5s will be enjoying a Retyred meeting … best regards from Ray in Epping

The grass pollen seems to be particularly bad this year, although I was doing a lot of mask wearing the previous 2 years !
We were staying near to the beach near Skegness last weekend so add sand to the mix too, I even get itchy ears !

I have just commited to Beconase spray for the nose, Piritn one-a-day tablets and Opticron eye drops, just until the levels drop down a bit, usually about 2 - 6 weeks a year for me then it disappears as quickly as it started.

Ditto…makes one shudder about older treatments

But just watched Lucy Worsley on the Madness of King George & they Bled Him to get rid of his Mental Health Issues !

So…We Continue to Make Progress ?

Agree…Horses for Courses

Find What Works for You

[Optician & then Pharmacist recommended ‘Hylo-Forte Eye Drops & Hylo-Forte Night Gel’]

Initially for Dry Eyes But I’ve Found It Soothing for Hay Fever

PS

Loads of Horse Riding Regardless of Allergy
Had Budgies & Cats Regardless of Allergy
Live in pre 1950’s Bungalow Regardless of Household Dust

Main Issue Now …Can’t Do ‘Mind Over Matter’

Tell My Body or Mind to Do…XYZ

And My Body/Mind Says

Are You Serious !!!

So I Just Wait For the ‘Windows’ when I Can Fool the Pair of 'Em

& Get Stuff Done

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.